Albanian Food - Baked Leeks - Tave me Presh
This is a very simple but tasty dish from Albania in the Balkan region of Europe. Not many recipes use Leeks as a key ingredient but this one is definitely worth a try.
2 lbs leeks
1 large chopped onion
1/2 lb ground meat (vegetarians could substitute lentils, beans or soya mince)
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
Beef Stock (or vegetarian alternative)
1/2 cup olive oil
1) Trim the thicker green leaves from the leeks, wash and cut at an angle, around 1 inch thick.
2) Saute the leeks in half the olive oil and then put in a baking dish with a lid
3) Fry the onion and ground meat (or vegetarian substitute) in the rest of the olive oil
4) Add tomato sauce, red pepper, salt and pepper to taste and add stock as appropriate to keep fairly moist as it will dry during baking.
5) Bring this mixture to the boil and pour over the leeks in the baking dish and cover
6) Bake in the oven for 1 hour at 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C
7) Serve Hot and enjoy, possibly serve with rice or mashed potatoes