Herbs and Spices :: How Long Should You Keep Herbs and Spices
Spice up your food video - Spices
What Are Herbs and Spices
People from all over the world have been using herbs and spices for many centruries now. it is as old as cooking. Generally herbs and spices gives aroma and flavor to foods which make them more palatable and have that taste which we are craving and wanting to eat more of it. In fact herbs and spices adds life to your food.
What is the difference between herbs and spices?
Herbs are leaves of plant -- low-growing shrubs. Some of the known examples of herbs are : chives, parsley, celery leaves, caraway, basil, marjoram, thyme, dill, oregano, savory rosemary, sage and celery leaves. There are hundreds more which isused in different parts of the world. It is either fresh or dried, if it is dried, then you can pulverized it into powder.
Spices -- those that comes form the bark, buds, seeds of trees. Examples are : cinnamon, ginger, onion, garlic (from the roots), cloves and saffron (from the buds), yellow mustard, sesame, poppy (from the seeds), black pepper (from the berry), allspice, paprika, (from the
Seasoning mix -- mixtures of spices and herbs
Uses of Herbs and Spices for Cooking
- It gives aroma (good smell) to food
- It gives flavor to food
- it gives distinct taste to the food
- It is also used for preservative
You can reduce and/or eliminate sugar to food by using allspice, anise,ginger,cardamon,mace, and nutmeg
When you cooked pasta you can put oregano, basil, pepper and parsley to reduce the salt
Herbs and Spices: When to Add Herbs and Spices
In general, herbs and spices can be add to your cooking when it is nearly done specially red chili pepper when you use the fresh red chili pepper. Flavor is lost if you add it long before it is cooked. Put it in the food before cooking The less delicate fresh herbs, like the "dill seeds, oregano, rosemary, tarragon and thyme, can be added about the last 20 minutes of cooking".
How to Store Herbs and Spices :: Storage for Herbs and Spices
- Store in well tight covered containers.
- Store in dark rooms away form sunlight inside the pantry
- Avoid storing it beside a cooker and near the sink
- Aboid storing it in wet places
- Use always a spoon when getting spices and herbs specially those powdered
How Long Should You Keep Herbs and Spices
Here are some guidelines to help you determine when it is time to throw your spices and herbs:
- As a general rule, keep One year for herbs or powdered spices and Two years for spices that are whole
- Transfer it to smaller container and determine how long will you consume the herbs and spices
- The smell tells a lot if it is still fresh or strong
- You can check the clover, garlic onion and know immediately if it still good by crushing it
Herbs and Spices : Amounts To Add
- Essentially, if you are making your own recipe then it is done by slowly adding herbs and spices, use a small spoon to it. "The amount to add varies with the type of herb or spice and recipe plus the choice of the person who is cooking -- his/her taste.
- According to a well known site for herbs ad spices : http://spiceadvice.com
- Remember to use more if you are using fresh into the ground spices or herbs
- For red chili pepper it is best to add it after cooking, or slightly minute after the cooking is done
- If you are doubling your recipe don't double the amount of herbs ad spices, taste it first
Other Hubs on Cooking Ingredients
- All About Rice : Variety, Health Benefits, Storage and Where to Buy It
All About Rice : Variety, Health Benefits, Storage and Where to Buy It. Rice is a cereal grain which is the staple food of more than half of the worlds population. Growing up in South East Asia. it is part of...
- Where to Buy Rice in The United States
Where to Buy Rice in The United States. As a migrant in the United States (US), when I first arrived here, I wonder where I could buy rice. Rice has been my staple food and I grew up eating it like most South...
- Eat Rice to Boost your Energy and Health
Eat Rice to Boost your Energy and Health. I remember my mother used to tell me to eat rice so that I have the energy to go to school, learn and then I can still play outside. She is correct, the United States...
- Various Kinds of Whole Grains and its Health Benefits
Various Kinds of Whole Grains and its Benefits. There are various kinds of whole grains and we need the nutrients we can get from such healthy foods for our daily activities. Whole grains are preferred rather...
- Different Kinds of Cheese :: All We Need to Know About Cheese
Different Kinds of Cheese :: All We Need to Know About Cheese. Growing up in South East Asia, my family don't eat a lot of cheese, although we drink fresh milk from animals specifically -- carabao. This is a...
- Facts About Milk :: Milk as Cooking Ingredients
Facts About Milk :: Milk as Cooking Ingredients. Milk is a rich source of calcium. It is produced by the glands of mammals, humans included. They are processed in a sense so as to be sold and can be used by...
- Different Kinds of Dairy :: All We Need To Know About Dairy
Different Kinds of Dairy :: All We Need To Know About Dairy. Dairy products are food products which can be derived from animals such as cows, buffalo's milk, carabao and goat, sheeps, yaks or horses too. A...
More by this Author
South America comprises the following countries : Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay. Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela. The two added territories are Falkland Island (UK) and...
Different Kinds of Leavening Agents. What are leavening agents or leaveners? Leavening agents are substances that are used in batters as well as doughs which are used to soften the dough and it is also used for...
Easy to Prepare Cocktails : Mixed Drinks Made Easy. A cocktail is a combination of mixed drinks -- spirits usually mixed with other ingredients usually to have a distinct taste so as the taste of the spirit is easily...