All Day Mashed Potato Soup filled with Yummies
“I bought a big bag of potatoes and it's growing eyes like crazy. Other foods rot. Potatoes want to see.”— Bill Callahan
Potatoes are a food that so many of us enjoy. They are such a versatile food that they are often found in the pantries of most of us any time of the year.
Likewise, soup is a food that we enjoy often. It warms us all the way through and often reminds us of a time long ago when we first had the particular soup we now enjoy.
No story accompanies this soup. It came out of a need to use up some mashed potatoes that I had left over from a meal last year. And now I am sharing it with you.
All Day Simmering....
This soup is not a hurry-up soup. It does take time and should be prepared on a day when your schedule is free and you are willing to devote the time to allow all of the ingredients to slosh around in a crock pot for most of the day.
All day simmering....
A few hints before you read the ingredients and instructions:
- Place about 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock in your crock pot before you begin any other steps. Follow directions as given below.
- If you do not have left over mashed potatoes, about three cups, then you will want to cook about 8-10 small to medium potatoes until soft. You can leave the skin on if desired. Then make mashed potatoes out of them using a little of the potato water for the liquid. Do not add extra milk at this time. Stir into broth.
- Cut about 8 slices of bacon into small pieces with your kitchen shears. Cook till done but not crisp. Add to potato mixture.
- Finely chop 1/8 of an onion and add to mixture as well.Set crock pot on low and allow to cook for the rest of the day.
- Some of these directions will be repeated a bit in the recipe capsule below but I did not want there to be any confusion so have added this explanation for your use.
Chopping Idaho potatoes for mashed potatoes
A Lovely Loaded Potato Soup YUMMMM
Potatoes Ready to Be Mashed
Do you know....potatoes are not just for eating...
- Grated potato with the abundance of juice generated by grating is excellent for sunburns calms the burn and brings relief.
Grate and lay on the burned skin until it the potato turns dark. Repeat.
It cools and soothes the tender skin.
My Momma used this on all of us kids more than once. Aaaahhhh.
- Prep time: 8 hours
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 8 hours 25 min
- Yields: Serves 6-8
- 8-10 small to medium Idaho potaotes, small chop
- 2 tablespoons butter
- dash pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cut into small pieces, cooked till done but not crisp
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8 small red potatoes, partially skinned, chopped
- 1/2 cup-3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mozarella or shsarp chedar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, for ganish
- 8 slices bacon, chopped small, fried till crisp, for garnish
- 1 cup plain yogurt, can be used instead of sour cream
Probably more truth to this for most of us than we might want to admit ..
"Every single diet I ever fell off of was because of potatoes and gravy of some sort."
Finely Chopped Sweet Onion
Red Potatoes Ready for Chopping
- Place chicken stock in crock pot; turn on high.
- Cook Idaho potatoes till soft.Drain off all but about 3/4 cup potato water. Add butter and pepper. Mix with mixer till mashed potatoes form.
- Add mashed potatoes to broth and reduce heat to low.
- Add cooked bacon and chopped onion to potato mixture.
- Let potato mixture cook for the rest of the day.
- About two hours before you plan to serve soup, add chopped red potatoes to soup mixture and turn heat on high. Add 1/2 cup sour cream Allow to cook until red potatoes are soft.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese, crsip bacon, and a few green onions. Serve immediately
- Option: you can precook the red potatoes and add to the soup 1 hour before serving the soup so they have time to absorb the flavors already in the soup.
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 14 mg||5%|
|Sodium 400 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
copyright 2011-2013 pstraubie48 ™ All Rights Reserved
More by this Author
Tuna fish is often causes controversy. I am sharing a recipe for a salad that is yummy. Also attached to this recipe is information on both sides of the fences on this topic.
Choose favorite onions to turn into a crispy topping for soup or salad. Make a big batch as you may find you eat many before you serve the dish.
Welcome an unusual plant to your yard. Pine Cone Ginger, known by several other names, is a fascinating plant which will add a tropical air to the landscape on your property.