Aloo Posto Recipe: A Main Course Potato Dish (Indian Food)
Potatoes are well used in various Indian cuisines. Be it Punjabi, Bengali, Kashmiri or Delhi food… all of these widely different cuisines have an amazing variety of main course dishes that use potatoes as the main ingredient. The so-called South Indian food, too, goes much beyond the idli-dosa routine. Every region has its own special ingredient and choice of spices, and you can cook the same vegetable in numerous ways by following various Indian cooking styles. Here is a typical Bengali potato dish…
White Poppy Seeds
- 4 medium sized potatoes, cut in small cubes
- 4 tbs poppy seeds, soaked in water for 15 min
- 3 tbs mustard oil
- 1 tsp nigella seeds, (Hindi name Kalonji)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, (Hindi name Jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida, (Hindi name Heeng)
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Grind the soaked poppy seeds to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- In a wok or deep pan, heat oil. Add nigella seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- As soon as the seeds start popping, add the slit chillies. Quickly stir for 10 seconds (be careful as seeds of the chillies tend to pop), and then add turmeric powder and salt.
- Add cubed potatoes and stir fry till they are golden brown. Add 2 tbs water, cover and cook for 4 min, stirring in between.
- Once the potatoes are half cooked, add the poppy seed paste and mix well. Cover and cook. Keep stirring in-between.
- When the potatoes are cooked, keep the lid open and adjust the gravy's consistency as per your liking.
- Remove from the fire and serve hot with puris or chapatis (or any indian bread of your choice).
Rate this recipe
Some More Easy Potato Recipes
- Jeera Aloo Recipe: Potatoes with Cumin Seeds
A quick and easy potato dish flavored with cumin seeds (jeera). This is popularly known as 'Vrat Waale Aloo' (potatoes suitable to eat on days of religious fasting when a many spices are shunned).
- Savory Pan Roasted Potatoes
This is a quick easy and delicious potato recipe for all occasions.When you crave potatoes but are tired of the same old baked, fried or mashed potatoes this is a must try version
- Cooking on a Budget: Potato & Mushroom Vegetarian Curry
I discovered this easy to make vegetarian curry, simply by accident. If you've got an onion, potatoes, tinned tomatoes, the odd bit of veg and some spices, then you have no excuse! Par boil the potato andveg, fry the onion, combine the two then add t
More by this Author
A quick and easy Indian accompaniment for Indian breads or rice, tomato chutney is sure to bring some spice into your otherwise boring food.