Amaretto Bread Pudding Recipe
Best Bread Pudding Recipe
I've tried a number of bread pudding recipes over the years, and have not found any as delicious as this one from my mother's cookbook. Amaretto bread pudding is a warm, delectable dessert that is equally good hot from the oven, or cooled with milk poured over it.
A quintessential comfort food, it can be enjoyed anytime the weather is cool, and especially over the holidays.
Amaretto is an almond-flavored liqueur and is used often to flavor cookies or other desserts. Originating from Italy, it is made from apricot and/or almond pits. It has a sweet flavor that reminds some people of cherries.
Amaretto is about 50 proof straight from the bottle, but the alcoholic effect is baked out in this recipe.
Ingredients for Amaretto Bread Pudding
1 pound French bread loaf - plain (use a thick unbuttered bread)
1 quart half and half (not heavy cream)
1/2 stick of butter - not margarine!
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons pure almond extract
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup Amaretto
Cook Time for Amaretto Bread Pudding
- Prep time: 1 hour 45 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 2 hours 30 min
- Yields: 8-10 servings
How to Make Amaretto Bread Pudding
Make the Bread Pudding:
1. Tear french bread loaf into bite-sized pieces, place in a medium size bowl
2. Pour quart of half and half over bread and soak for one hour, stirring occasionally
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 stick of butter (melted), 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar and 3 eggs. Then stir in 2 Tablespoons almond extract and 3/4 cups sliced almonds
4. Put soaked bread pieces into a buttered 9 x 13 glass dish
5. Pour almond mixture over the top
6. Bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Sauce for Amaretto Bread Pudding:
1. Cook 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup powdered sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until hot.
2. Allow the sugar mixture to cool to room temperature
3. Whisk in 1 egg and 1/4 cup Amaretto
Final Preparation of the Amaretto Bread Pudding:
After the bread pudding is cooked, slice it lengthwise and crosswise. Spoon sauce mixture over the top. Then, put the pudding back into the oven under the broiler until the sauce bubbles. WATCH CAREFULLY! It is really easy to burn the top of the pudding at the end!
Serve Amaretto bread pudding in bowls with milk, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream, as desired!
Rate this Amaretto Bread Pudding Recipe
Try This Alternative Bread Pudding Recipe - in a Pressure Cooker!
© 2008 Stephanie Hicks
More by this Author
Rhubarb and strawberry are two great flavors that marry in this easy Rhubarb Strawberry Cake recipe. Rhubarb can also be used in jams/jellies and other sweet desserts.
Writing a self-evaluation is an important tool for a company to assess your performance and show your superiors that you should be awarded a raise or promotion. At the very least, a performance review gives you the...