An Award Winning Chili Recipe!
A REAL WINNER
I haven't won many competitions in my life. But at our recent church chili cook off, this recipe took FIRST PRIZE! I have made this chili several times, and have tweaked it to get the flavor and consistency that apparently was a winner with this very keen crowd. The recipe leans toward the spicy side, but you can tame it down by adding fewer peppers, milder salsa and omit the hot sauce.
The best part about this recipe is that, in spite of the long list of ingredients, it is VERY EASY TO MAKE!
The history of Chili is mixed with about as many mysteries as there are ingredients in this recipe. Was it the invention of a Spanish Nun or a Western Cowboy? I will leave you to decide where it began. However, since "chili" has such a fascinating history, it seems utterly irresponsible not to provide a few fun facts, notable quotes, and curious stories about the history and development of this delightful dish.
SOME FUN FACTS AND QUOTES ABOUT CHILI:
- The full name for "chili" is "chili con carne" which is Spanish for "peppers with meat."
- Contrary to much popular opinion, chili is NOT a traditional Mexican dish
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935) called chili a "bowl of blessedness."
- It is said the Jesse James, the infamous outlaw, refused to rob a bank in McKinney, Texas because that was the location of his favorite chili parlour!
- In the 1800's certain Spanish priests were quite concerned about this "fiery" concoction and even preached against it. They called it "The Devil's Soup."
- Benjamin Franklin is apparently the author of this litte rhyme about chili:
"In rain or snow,
To chili go.
You'll find it so,
for ought we know.
Time will show."
- The state I was born in, Illinois, was officially declared (by their own legislature of course) to be the official "Chilli capital of the civilized world" in 1993. And yes, they spelled it "Chilli" (with 2 L's). Maybe because it would then match the first 4 letters of the state name??
Okay, enough of these fun facts and chili trivia. Well, alright, just ONE more! Did you know that there is actually a Chili Appreciation Society?
That's it. Now...onto the recipe that will knock your socks off! Here you have my AWARD WINNING CHILI RECIPE:
THE INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
Okay, here are the ingredients you will need to make this award winning chili recipe. The list is a bit long...but the results will be worth the investment:
- 2-1/4 pounds of ground beef, get a nice lean variety
- 2 teaspoons of oil (EVOO will do just fine)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce can)
- 1 cup of a dark beer (you pick, Guinness and Magic Hat are both nice)
- 1 cup of strong coffee
- 2 cans of tomato paste (6 ounce cans)
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3-1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2/3 cup hot salsa
- 2 tablespoonfuls of Frank's hot sauce
- 1 tablespoonful cumin
- 1 tablespoonful cocoa
- 1 teaspoonful oregano
- 1 teaspoonful cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoonful coriander
- 1 teaspoonful black pepper
- 2 teaspoonfuls salt
- 3 cans of kidney beans (15 ounce cans, drained)
- 4 green jalapeno peppers
STEPS TO SUCCESS
Now for the really fun part...putting it all together. This is easy! Just follow these steps and you will have your own award winning chili recipe to serve!
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven, then add your onions, garlic and ground beef. Cook until brown. At this point, I like to drain the meat a little by pressing a large spoon into the mix and drawing out some of the fat. Toss this out.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, coffee, beer, and beef broth
- Add spices (items 14-20 above), brown sugar and then add in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers. Let this simmer for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the final can of kidney beans. Add the chili sauce, salsa, and hot sauce. Allow this to simmer for about another 30 minutes.
Can you believe it is that easy?? This delicious recipe will soon be a family favorite. Serve it hot into a bowl and enjoy! For some other great ideas on how to serve your chili...keep reading!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY YOUR CHILI!
Personally, I think this chili is SO good...it really deserves to be shared with some of the other food items in your fridge or freezer. Here are some great ways to utilize this wonderful recipe while thinking outside the bowl!
The Chili Dog: This is the proverbial crowd pleaser! Who doesn't like a chili dog? Put the hot dog in a bun, spoon on the chili, and then add some freshly shredded cheddar cheese and maybe some diced onions!! Wow!! But no chili dog can be successful without a good chili recipe. And now you have it!
The Chili Burger: A chili burger is really hard to beat: mouth watering meat mixed with that hot and spicy chili along with several slices of American cheese...ahhhh! Top it off with onions, pickles, and any of your favorite fixings! If you are doing the burgers on the grill, toasing the inside of the bun adds just a little crispy texture and crunch. And hey, why not throw some bacon on too right?
Chili Fries: Welcome to my weakness!! Buy a bag of frozen french fries. I like the big, thick "beef steak" fries myself. The crispy kind with the crinkles are good too. Cook them in the oven according to the directions. Melt some Velveeta in the microwave. Now, put your fries on a nice big plate. Pile on your Award Winning Chili recipe chili. Then cover with melted cheese. Surprise your family with a chili cheese fries appetizer the next time you make supper!
Cincinnati Chili: Chili on spaghetti? Leave it to the good folks in Cincinnati to come up with this classic! Apparently this very popular local favorite can be ordered as just spaghetti and chili (a 2-way) or with cheese (a 3-way) or add chopped onion (a 4-way) and then even with beans (a 5-way!). But whatever way YOU want it...you won't be disappointed if you pour this chili recipe over your pasta!
YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO ENJOY CHILI
What is your favorite way to enjoy chili?See results without voting
More by this Author
Great recipe for oven roasted potatoes. This classic is a family favorite. I'll share my secret recipe with you.
Pickled eggs. You either hate them or LOVE them. Well, for the pickled egg lovers out there I have worked on a "spicy" recipe for some time and I think it is now just about perfect! The result is not only the...
Oxycontin, Percocet and Vicodin are frequently dispensed prescription medications. This article briefly describes what they are and how they are safely to be used.