Apple Dessert Recipes
The Health Benefits of Apples
Everyone has heard the old saying "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". You would not believe how true that statement is. Eating apples provides many, many health benefits. I decided after reading about these benefits that I would start gathering dessert recipes for this remarkable fruit. Below you will find a couple of recipes that I found to be delicious and easy to make. But first let me tell you about the benefits of eating apples.
- Alzheimers Prevention ~ A substance contined in apples, quercetin, may protect your brain cells from the type of free radical damage that is known to lead to Alzheimers.
- Lung Cancer Prevention ~ The high levels of flavonoids, quercetin, and naringin may lower your risk of developing lung cancer by as much as 50%.
- Colon Cancer Prevention ~ The pectin in apples not only help reduce the risk of developing colon cancer but they also help maintain a healthey digestive tract.
- Liver Cancer Prevention ~ Eating apples may lower your risk of developing liver caner by as much as 57%.
- Breast Cancer Prevention ~ One apple per day may lower the risk of breast cancer by 17%. Eatings three apples per day may lower the risk by 38%, while 6 apples may reduce risk by as much as 44 to 45%.
- Lower Cholesterol ~ The pectin contained in apples helps lower your LDL (bad) cholesterol. Eating 2 apples per day may lower cholesterol by as much as 16%.
- Bone Protection ~ Flavonoids may protect menopausal women from developing osteoporosis. It has also been said to increase bone density.
- Weight Loss ~ Women who eat 3 or more apples per day generally lose more weight than women who do not.
- Diabetes Management ~ The pectin in an apple supplies the body with a substance that lowers the body's need for insulin which in turn helps in the management of diabetes.
3 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp butter
In large fry pan, heat butter til melted. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook on medium heat until apples are tender.
Fried apples are good as a dessert when topped with a dolop of whipped cream. They are also good spooned over vanilla ice cream. Fried apples are also a good addition to a meal when serving pork chops. The two flavors compliment each other beautifully.
3 lbs apples, peeled cored and sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with buttered flavored baking spray.
Toss cut apples in a bowl with 1/3 cup of brown sugar to coat then place in oiled baking pan.
Combine in medium sized bowl, remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon and nutmeg. Drop small cut up pieces of softened butter into graham cracker mixture.
Using pastery cutter or two knives cut into mixture until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.
Place in oven and bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.
If you do not have graham cracker crumbs simple take regular or cinnamon flavored graham crackers and crush until crumbly. They work very well.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1.2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
Beat egg until frothy and add to sugar mixture.
Blend together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, apples, raisins and nuts.
Spray 9" x 9" baking dish with butter flavored baking oil. Pour cake mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Free Recipe Database - Fat-Free, Sugar-Free, Low-Fat
A database of free recipes that fit your lifestyle (and your diet). Updated continually, so check back often for new tasty treats and savory dishes. Requests welcome!
- Delicious Apple Recipes
Fall is the perfect time to cook with apples, when they are at their peak of freshness and flavor. I live in Wisconsin where a large variety of apples are available but most apples will do for baking. I would...
- The Best Apple Recipes
Apples are a wonderfully diverse fruit that can be eaten right from the tree or incorporated into many recipes to add flavor and flare. They can be used in stuffing or sauces to compliment chicken or pork...
- Quick & Easy Caramel Apple Recipe (And Crunchy Coati...
Super-simple recipe for caramel apples, with plenty of creative topping ideas, from traditional peanuts to sweet surprises!
More by this Author
This article includes a recipe for Amish Funeral Cake, Amish Funeral pie and Amish pie Dough.
A Scripture cake, also known as a Bibile cake or Old Testament cake came about many years ago The recipe was written entirely in bible verses. The idea was to learn how to bake and learn the bible verses too. The...
Different styles look better on some than others. We all want to look good, that's a given. To look your best, you need to dress for your body type.
No comments yet.