Vegetable Soup Recipe
Fresh Vegetable Soup
Fresh Vegetable Soup
There is nothing better than homemade vegetable soup when it is cold outside, you can pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich, to compliment a steak meal, or have it all by itself. This is an easy recipe to add your own variations too, you can add beans, rice, or meat to it with out changing the recipe just remember to increase the water content for beans , rice, and longer cooking times.
Homemade vegetable soup is a great way to warm you up and to eat your veggies. I love making fresh vegetable soup and having a grilled cheese sandwich or crackers. It as not a difficult to prepare and the prep and cooking time is minimal.
Making vegetable soup is an excellent way to stretch your food budget as well. You can find vegetable that are in season to create a healthy meal for you and your family that doesn't put a huge dent in your grocery bill. Depending on the types of vegetables you choose and what is in season, you can create a delicious meal for under $7.00 that can feed a family of four.
Add some healthy wheat bread or inexpensive crackers to it and you have a meal that is filling and inexpensive. It makes easy left overs or put the left overs in a container to take to work and eat the next day.
Vegetable soup is generally low calorie and easily digested. You can include it in a weight loss plan. The American diet is notoriously low in consumption of veggies. All research points to vegetables being an excellent way to ward of disease, maintain a healthy weight, and as some suggest, easy our impact on the environment by cutting down meat consumption which is tied to a host of environment damage because of the process of meat production.
Vegetable soup ingredients
- 2 ears fresh corn on the cob, fresh is best, frozen is optional
- 1/2 cup Petite Peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups Diced Tomatoes, tomatoes that are firm and bright in color, canned is an option to
- 1 Diced Onion, red, white, or yellow
- 1 cup green or yellow squash, slice in rounds
- 3 stalks celery, slice celery in small pieces about a quarter inch
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach, chop into small pieces, baby spinach is preferable
- 1/2 cup Cabbage, red or green, chopped
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, cut into rounds and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon Italion Seasoning
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
- to taste Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Lemon zest, This is where you add your favorite seasonings!
- 10 cups Water, This will vary depending on ingredients
Put it all together
- Lightly saute garlic, celery, seasonings, and onions in the bottom of your cook pot, use olive oil or real butter.
- Add hot water to pan and wash and prepare your vegetables while you heat the water. Add your vegetables as they are cut. If you have chosen to add beans or rice, add them first. Remeber that this will change the cooking time and water requirement. If you are adding rice, don't use more that 1/2 cup, a little goes a long way in this recipe. Beans should be cooked according to directions on the packaging, canned beans can be added without an increase in cooking time. Cooking time will be at your descretion, personally I prefer a lower cooking time so that my veggies are still crisp.
- Boil ingrediants with the lid on for 30 minutes to an hour depending on your choice. Taste the soup after about 15 minutes of cooking time to add more seasonings to taste.
Vegetarian Cook Books
Add beans, meat, rice, shrimp, fish, anything you want to spice up and add flavor to this healthful recipe. Some great additions to this recipe are;
- Black Beans
- Kidney beans
- Northern beans
- Garbonzo beans
- Stew meat
- Meat balls
- Chicken Breast
- Brown rice
- White rice
- Wild rice
- Bell Peppers
- Cheese as a topper
- Fish crackers on top
How to chop vegetables
- Vegetable Nutrition Facts - Health Benefits of Each Vegetable
View the vegetable nutrition facts for individual vegetables. While some vegetables are considered to be superfoods due to their large supply of nutrients, all edible vegetables provide exceptional nutritional benefits.
- What Are The Benefits Of Eating Vegetable Soup? | LIVESTRONG.COM
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Vegetable Soup?. If you follow a typical American diet, you probably don't get enough vegetables. In addition to enjoying more salads and steamed vegetable side dishes, another tasty way to up your vegetable intake is
Do you eat your veggies?
How many servings of vegetables do you eat a day?See results without voting
More by this Author
You can learn a lot about children and their behaviors by observing them in a planned way. Children are very interesting, if you are a teacher, day care worker, or a parent you can definitely gain knowledge about...
Nature had an extreme effect on the early settlers, both positive and negative. Many of them were drawn to America because of the tails of abundance and beauty to behold in America.
Observing a child is extremely interesting. This observation is for a study in a child development class. Asking the right questions prior to observing a child will definitely help your study. Children are very...