Authentic Mexican Short Rib Chili served with Creamy Cornmeal Polenta
I have visited Mexico approximately 8 times so far for various vacations. It is so hard to find an authentic Mexican recipe that is original and not influenced with American Cuisine. 'Im so sorry Taco Bell, but sometimes that authentic Mexican cuisine is in order.
Below is a recipe for Authentic Mexican Short Rib Chili served with creamy cornmeal polenta. This recipe is absolutely so delicious- that I had to share it. Before I made this recipe I was unsure to what polenta exactly was, and honestly I didn't think the name sounded so delicious. Let me tell you- that it totally makes this dish come together. The rich short rib sauce is complimented so much from the polenta. If you are unsure- Polenta is basically cornmeal.
Once you make this I guarantee that it will be a favorite in your home. My kids absolutely love this dish, and it fills your home with such an aroma of yummy goodness that they come running with their bowls.
- 3lb Short ribs with bone
- 8 Dried New Mexico Chiles
- 2 Dried ancho chiles
- Dash Kosher salt/pepper
- 6 Garlic cloves, Minced/chopped
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Mediterranean oregano, Dried
- 1 Tabelspoon Cumin
- 2 Tablespoon Dark Agave
- 1 C Beef broth
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 (15 ounce) can Black Beans, rinsed/drained
- 2 Green onions, Chopped
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cup Canned Corn, rinsed drained
- 4 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- 1 cup Beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon Bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325. The first thing you want to do is lay out your short ribs on a cutting board or flat baking sheet. Sprinkle with approximately 1 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper. let set
- In a medium saucepan on the stove simmer the New Mexico Chiles,Ancho chiles and 1 1/2 cup water until the chilies are tender 5-6 minutes. Remove the chilies from the pot and remove the tops off the chilies,dump out the seeds. Discard the tops and the seeds.Transfer the chilies that have been De-seeded along with any chicken broth left in the pot and transfer this mixture to a blender and pure till smooth.
- In a separate pan heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Once the pot oil is hot- slowly start adding your seasoned short ribs to the oil and brown on all sides approx 5-6 minutes on each cooking round. Transfer the browned ribs to a bowl between batches.
- Once you have browned all your short ribs- and they are all in a bowl. Take your empty oiled pot and saute your onions and garlic for about 6 minutes till the onions are translucent.
- In the same pot add the cumin and oregano. Next add in your chile puree from the blender, the beef broth, instant coffee, and agave and stir to mix.
- Now you want to Return the short ribs along with any juices from the bowl to the pot with the cumin and oregano; stir real well to coat the ribs. Bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and place the pot in the oven on 325. Braise until the ribs are very tender, about 2 hours 30 minutes.
- After your ribs have cooked you want to remove the pot from the oven Spoon out and discard any fat that rises to the surface. Now you want to transfer the ribs and any loose bones to a baking sheet. Carefully cut the membrane off each piece of meat (try to cut away only the membrane and not any meat). Discard the membranes and all bones. Cut the meat into small 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add your cubed meat back to the pot, along with the black beans, season with salt/pepper. Your chili mixture is done and ready to be served with the polenta once your polenta is made.
- To make the polenta: In a mini blender pure the 1 cup of corn till course pure forms and set aside. Reserve the 1/2 cup of canned corn to be stirred in later.
- Bring the chicken broth, 2 1/2 cups water, 4 Tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Gradually whisk in the polenta slowly. The polenta will thicken in about 2 minutes. You can add more butter if you like. Reduce the heat to low , cover the pot with a lid and continue to cook until the polenta is tender approximately 20 minutes. Make sure you continue to stir the pot so the polenta does not stick. After about 20 minutes stir the corn puree into the polenta along with 1/2 cup of the remainder corn.
- Add approximately 3/4 cup of polenta into a bowl. Top with your Mexican short rib Chili, and sprinkle with the green onions and grated chocolate. Your Authentic Mexican Short Rib Chili served with creamy cornmeal Polenta is ready to be served.
If you are curious to where you can get some of these ingredients- your local grocery store should have them. I bought everything at Dierbergs- which is one of our grocery stores here in St Louis Missouri. This recipe is relatively easy to make, and once you make this recipe I guarantee you will always make it. Enjoy your Authentic Mexican Short Rib Chili served with creamy cornmeal Polenta.
What is Polenta?
More by this Author
Real Lobster and Crab Bisque soup made from cream, and homemade shellfish stock. Its sure to make your mouth water and beg for more.
A very good friend of mine absolutely loves these Fried Mac and Cheese Balls from the Cheesecake factory. I thought I would get this recipe to pass on to her and make them one night for dinner for my family. These are...
This is the original recipe for the Olive Gardens Lasagna Fritta.It is so delicious! It is Parmesan-breaded lasagna pieces, fried and served over Alfredo sauce, topped with Parmesan cheese and marinara sauce. You cant...