Authentic spanish ham croquettes tapas recipe
This is one of the superb Spanish dishes that are so very much better when made freshly in the kitchen, rather than bought in frozen form from a Spanish supermarket. Spanish Croquettes are common in every restaurnat in spain. They serve as a good appetizer or main dish and are crunchy on the outside and nice and tender in the inside. The original recipe called for bread crumbs- but with the substitution of panko bread crumbs the outside is much crisper and better.
It’s one of those Spanish meals you might think is difficult to make. They are not. You can serve them as a tapas or as a main course. Enjoy these Authentic Spanish ham croquettes they are so delicious.
- 1/2 cup finely minced onions
- 12 ounces ham shredded or minced
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- salt pepper To taste
- 2 eggs mixed with 1 Tablespoon water
- Olive oil for frying
- In a small saucepan start to heat your milk on low
- Shred or finely mince your ham.
- Mince your onions
- In a large pan heat your butter till hot and add the onions and saute till onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the 1/4 cup flour to make a roux. Cook for about 1 minute longer and remove from heat.
- Whisk in the hot milk to form a smooth consistency. Cook till sauce is thicker. Season with salt and pepper and nutmeg. Stir in the shredded or minced ham. Mix well and cook for about 4-5 minutes on low heat stirring.
- Pour the cooked mixture in a glass pan and stick in the refrigerator for about an hour till the mixture is cold and semi-stiff.
- In a small mixing bowl beat the eggs and water together
- In another bowl add your flour and panko breadcrumbs. Season with salt/pepper
- Using your hands start to roll out the refrigerator mixture to roll into a large snake 3/4 inch thick. Using a knife cut the logs into 1 1/2 inch thick.
- Dip the logs in the egg wash
- Dip the logs in the panko bread crumbs and set aside on a cookie pan. Do all the same way until done
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours till cold.
- Heat up your olive oil in a pan. You want to pan fry these so the bottom the pan needs to be completely coated. Fry these till golden brown and the centers are hot. Serve while hot.
More by this Author
Real Lobster and Crab Bisque soup made from cream, and homemade shellfish stock. Its sure to make your mouth water and beg for more.
A very good friend of mine absolutely loves these Fried Mac and Cheese Balls from the Cheesecake factory. I thought I would get this recipe to pass on to her and make them one night for dinner for my family. These are...
This is the original recipe for the Olive Gardens Lasagna Fritta.It is so delicious! It is Parmesan-breaded lasagna pieces, fried and served over Alfredo sauce, topped with Parmesan cheese and marinara sauce. You cant...
No comments yet.