Eggplant is not just for frying
In the past I have almost always fried eggplant to cook it.While I do love eggplant parmesan, there is only so many times you can eat it in a month before getting sick of it.
There is a saying that there are countless ways to cook an eggplant. So, this summer I decided to grow some eggplants and try some different cooking methods for preparing this versatile vegetable (or Berry, if you want to be technical about it).
The first technique I tried is to Grill the eggplant and to make things interesting I added some BBQ sauce.
You will need the following ingredients:
- Cut the Eggplant into 1/4 inch slices.
- Sweat the eggplant.
- Mix the Eggpant and BBQ sauce in a large bowl. Let the eggplant sit in the BBQ sauce for 10-15 minutes to marinate.
- Brush some olive oil on your grill grate to prevent the eggplant from sticking.
- Grill the Eggplant 5-10 minutes per side. You will know when your eggplant is ready to be flipped because the sauce on the top will start to caramelize and thicken. Brush some extra sauce on top of the eggplants after you flip them.
- Let Cool for 1-3 minutes before serving. You may add additional sauce, if desired.
There are almost as many types of BBQ sauces as there are ways to cook eggplant. You can create different types of sauces that will match your particular pallet. You can use a stored bought BBQ sauce or you can easily make your own. Here are some great BBQ Sauces for using on Grilled Eggplant.
Asian BBQ Sauce
- 6 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 4 tablespoon Asian fish sauce or Oyster Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Simply mix all ingredients together.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour while the eggplant is sweating.
Basalmic BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3/4 cups Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
More by this Author
- 10How to Make 3D Sidewalk Art - Street Chalk Paintings and Murals - Forced Perspective - SideWalk Art Festivals
Sidewalk Chalk is becoming very popular. Many cities are now holding annual festivals where they will have artists create large chalk murals not just on the sidewalks but on the streets. Some Sidewalk Chalk Festivals...
After most uses you can simply clean your Cast Iron pan using a brush and some water. However, from time to time you will want to give your a cast iron pan a thorough cleaning by following the instructions below. ...
Learn how to make ledges for your chinchilla's cage.