Homemade White Bread Recipe - Yummy !!
Fresh Home Made Bread Step 1
There is nothing quite like the smell of yeast bread baking in one's oven.
I find the aroma to be therapeutic and soothing. I drool in anticipation of slathering butter on the still warm heel as I cut into the loaf.
This is the recipe and method I have found the most success with.
1 TBSP. of instant yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 TBSP. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4's cups warm water or milk
2 TBSP. oil
5 to 6 cups white flour
- I often substitute up to a cup of the white flour with a combination of whole wheat flour, ground flax and uncooked oats.
Add the sugar to 1/4 cup warm water. Stir until disolved. Add yeast and let stand for a few minutes.
- Pour remaining 1 3/4 cup of warm water or milk to yeast mixture.
- Add oil.
- Add 5 cups flour in 1/2 cup increments, mixing well as you go.
- Add the 6th cup of flour sparingly and only if necessary. Too much flour makes a dry bread.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for up to 10 minutes, until your dough is smooth.
- To knead, push dough into a flattened shape with the balls of your hands. Fold dough over towards yourself, flatten and repeat. If you handle the dough gently you will be rewarded with an excellent finished product.
- Shape dough into a ball, cover with a cloth and let it sit for about 10 minutes. While your dough is resting, prepare two bread pans by thoroughly oiling them. Give both pans a light dusting of flour.
Fresh Homemade Bread: Step 2
- Cut dough in half.
- Using half of the dough at a time, roll it out with a rolling pin, forming a 10 by 14 inch shape.
- Begin rolling dough from the edge closest to you, tucking the ends under as you go.
- Place rolled dough in the two prepared bread pans.
- Set in a warm place, I heat my oven to 200 degrees, turn it off and place my loaves, covered with a slightly damp, clean cloth, in the oven to rise.
- Let dough rise for up to 1 1/2 hours. If you poke the dough and the indent stays, it's ready to bake
- Place the two loaves in a 400 degree pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 30 -35 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- After you remove loaves from the oven brush the tops with butter to give them a yummy soft crust.
I find this to be a resilient recipe. Be adventurous when substituting some of the white flour. As I mentioned above, I substitute up to one cup of the white flour with ground flax, whole wheat flour, oats, rye flour.
- Easy Homemade Anti-wrinkle Lotion
The production of anti-wrinkle creams, lotions and such is a multi-billion dollar industry. In this era that we're living in now beauty seems to reign over everything else even health. If you do not like your...
- How to Make Canadian Bacon. An Easy Recipe for Homem...
It's easy to cure Canadian Bacon at home. Learn how to make your own homemade Candian bacon!
- How to Make Delicious Homemade Donuts
Donut recipes are numerous. Great donuts recipes are a little harder to find. These are great. Here are two of my favorite recipes,with tips on how to make the best donuts ever.
- Homestead Basics: Homemade Pet Food
Making pet food can ensure a healthy diet for your dog or cat. It can be made from many different ingredients but there are some things that you need to stay away from.
- Homemade Soap - How to Make Soap at Home
How to make soap at home - here are some inexpensive ingredients, directions, and tips on how to make hand crafted, vegan homemade soap. With pictures, recipes, and videos, you can learn to make your own home made soap.
- The Joy of Feeling Joy
a happy peaceful read.
More by this Author
A Medicine Bag is a leather pouch worn around one's neck. Placed inside by the wearer are talisman like sage, willow bark, cedar, stones, teeth & bones to strengthen your spirit and protect you.
11 handy tips for increasing safety, proper food handling and quicker picker upper time when the meal is done.
Remove humidity from your living environment to maintain a healthy body and prevent water damage to your home.