Beef Pot Roast
While planning my Sunday dinner meal I wanted something to go along with the beef pot roast I was serving. Baked onions stuffed with garlic came to mind and would be a great accompaniment to the roast beef. Not only did they taste great but the aroma coming out of the kitchen made everyone hungry.
Cook Time for The Baked Onions
Ingredients for the baked onions
- 3 medium to large sweet onions
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
Step by step photos for preparing the onionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for preparing and baking the onions
- Start by cutting off the top of the onion. Leave the bottom part uncut and remove the peel.
- With a sharp knife cut down into the onion but don't cut all the way down as you want to keep it intact.
- Slice a large garlic clove and insert into the onion. You can add as much or as little garlic as you like. I stuffed the three onions using two large cloves.
- Set the onions on a plate so that they face upwards. Drizzle each onion with extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle each onion with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Wrap each onion in aluminum foil making sure to keep them upright. Place into the oven with the pot roast and bake for one hour. I put an extra piece of tin foil underneath the 3 onions just in case some of the oil seeped out.
Onto the recipe for Beef Pot Roast
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Ready in: 2 hours
Yield: Will serve 4 adults
Ingredients For Beef Pot Roast
- 3 pound roast. I used an outside round beef roast for this recipe. A chuck or blade roast would be good as well.
- 4 Ribs of celery
- 4 large carrots
- 1 cooking onion
- 6 potatoes
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Montreal steak spice
- 2 Bay leaves
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 cups of beef broth
- 2 tbs.of olive oil
Step by step photos for preparing the beef pot roastClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for preparing and cooking the beef pot roast
- Start by peeling and chopping the carrots into chunks. Wash and cut celery into 2-3" pieces. Peel and quarter the onion. Wash potatoes and either leave them whole or cut in half. Peel and slice garlic cloves.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a dutch oven or roasting pan on top of the stove, heat olive oil on high. Insert garlic slices into the beef roast. Generously season the roast with Montreal steak spice.
- Add the seasoned roast to the roasting pan on top of the stove and sear on all sides. Remove the roast and set on a plate.
- In the bottom of the roasting pan add the celery, carrots and onion. Put the beef roast on top of the vegetables.
- Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce on top of the roast.
- Add potatoes around the roast.
- Pour 2-3 cups of beef broth on top of the vegetables and add 2 bay leaves.
- Cover the roasting pan or dutch oven with lid or use tin foil.
- Place in the over and cook for 20 minutes at 350°F. Turn the oven down to 325°F and continue to cook for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is cooked.
- Check the vegetables after the roast has been in the oven for an hour. If they're cooked to your liking remove them from the roasting pan and set into an oven safe covered bowl. You can set them back into the oven to heat them up when the roast is sitting for five minutes before slicing.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Dinner is Served!
Think you may like this recipe? Please rate.
More by this Author
Roast beef dinner recipe with easy to follow directions. Garlic mashed potatoes included.
By marinating a blade steak before cooking it will come out juicy and tender.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.