Baked Potato Cakes
The simplicity of potato cakes has to be one of the best things about them, I love the fact that you can chuck together some left over mash (or quickly boil some potatoes), add some onion an egg and you are pretty much ready to go.
Traditionally potato cakes would be fried, but I always get into a pickle when frying, it all gets a bit messy - but that's probably just me. I much prefer to bake my potato cakes and then pop them under the grill if they need any further browning.
These potato cakes are baked, they have some zingy chives added to the mix, alongside the onion, and egg. To this I invited a little bit of feta to the party that I had left over (you could use any cheese), and a couple of splashes of hot pepper sauce! Its great to have a bit of spice. To serve I had some sweet chilli sauce that I added on the side, but you could have anything you fancied, Ketchup, brown sauce whatever you want.
These potato cakes would make a great lunch, a starter (for four) or dinner (for two).
- 500g Potatoes, Mashed
- 1 Egg
- 60g Feta cheese, You could use any
- Handful Chives
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1 tblsp Olive Oil, For pasting the cakes with
- To season Salt and Pepper
- Spray Spray light oil spray, For spraying on patties before going in oven
- Pre-heat oven to 190c. Peel and boil the potatoes, once boiled, mash
- Add together, chives, spring onions, egg, feta, hot pepper sauce and season with salt and pepper. Mix.
- Add mash to this mixture and mix again. Add extra pepper sauce and season further if needed.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Make mash mixture into large patties, I used a cake cutter of 9cm wide and 3cm high to get a good shape. Spray the cakes with light oil spray (or drizzle olive oil) so that they brown in the oven.
- Bake in 190c oven for 25 minutes until cooked through. If need more browning, drizzle on more oil and pop under grill.
- Serve with salad and sweet chilli sauce
More potato recipes
- How To Make Homemade Oven Baked Chips or French Fries
How to make homemade oven baked chips or fries