Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - Dairy-Free and Vegan
Some people may choose to be vegans due to moral reasons, but my vegan curiosity mainly stems from being health conscious. While I don't feel obliged to forever bid farewell to succulent lamb shanks or scrumptious meatball lasagna, I think it's good to go vegan once in a while just to avoid cholesterol overload. It might be hard for some to turn away from a juicy rib-eye steak and grab a plate of steamed broccoli. It should be easier, however, when it comes to baked goods like muffins and pies. If done right, vegan baked goods can be just as mouth-pleasing as the regular versions full of heart-harming cholesterol. These banana chocolate-chip muffins, for instance, are absolutely cholesterol-free. Now some of you may think: "Ah, right, since they're healthy they probably taste pretty much like cardboard." Well, not at all! These vegan muffins do contain fat, which keeps their texture moist and lovely. Most of their fat content, though, is heart-friendly unsaturated fat. Plus, there's chocolate in them! How could you resist?
Please Rate this Vegan Muffin Recipe
Vegan Banana Chocolate-Chip Muffins - Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tbsps canola oil
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps vanilla soy milk***
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps dairy-free chocolate chips
***The soy milk I use contains added sugar, but you may opt for the plain version if you would like to limit your sugar intake.***
How to Make Dairy-Free and Vegan Banana Chocolate-Chip Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together canola oil, soy milk, and mashed banana.
- Make a little well in the middle of the dry mixture. Add the wet mixture and 1/4 cup of dairy-free chocolate chips, then use a spoon or rubber spatula to fold together until combined. Don't beat or overmix the batter. Let it be slightly clumpy!
- Line your muffin tins with paper liners.
- Fill about 2/3 of each muffin tin with your banana chocolate chip batter.
- Use the rest of the dairy-free chocolate chips to top each muffin.
- Bake your vegan muffins in the preheated oven for about 20 - 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and muffin tins, then allow your banana chocolate chip muffins to cool on a wire rack.
- These vegan muffins are best served warm, but you can also keep them refrigerated for a few days, then reheat them before serving.
Vegan Banana Chocolate-Chip Muffins - Nutrition and Calorie Info
|Serving size: 1 muffin|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 6 g|
|Carbohydrates 44 g||15%|
|Sugar 21 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
What You May Also Want to Read
- Got Muffin Problems? - If you're not familiar with muffin baking, many missteps can happen. Visit How to Make Muffins Like a Pro to troubleshoot your muffin issues and avoid future muffin tragedy.
- Got Too Many Muffins? - I think these banana chocolate chip muffins should be gone pretty quickly, but you'll never know! Some of your guests may not show up, or there may be many other foods at your breakfast party that could steal your healthy vegan muffins' limelight. So it's smart to have a plan B and know what to do with leftover muffins.
- Looking for More Vegan Breakfast Ideas? - Here's one; it's a quick and easy recipe for Vegan Scrambled Eggs!
- Want More Healthy Muffin Recipes? - These are some of my favorites: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, Carrot Oatmeal Muffins, Bacon Cornbread Muffins, Pina Colada Muffins.
- Banana Lover? - Nifty Banana Guide offers a plethora of banana trivia, tips, recipes and fun serving ideas for you to try out.
More by this Author
Gluten-free dieters, bring out your mixing bowls and oven mitts! Let's bake some eggnoggy treats this holiday season.
A delicious gluten-free cornbread recipe with demonstration video, pictures and nutrition information.
The article explores the history and philosophy of the Japanese rock garden, in addition to giving step-by-step instructions on how to design and build one.