Best Winter Soup: Banana Curry Soup
A tasty recipe for a cold winter day
Bananas contain Vitamin A, B6, C and Folate as well as various minerals such as Potassium , Magnesium, Phosphorus, Calcium, Selenium and Iron plus plenty of healthy fiber, making them an ideal ingredient for your every day diet. While most people eat them exclusively raw e.g. in their breakfast cereal, in a smoothie or as a healthy snack, bananas can also be cooked. For a tasty, low-cost winter meal, try this soup recipe.
PS: To avoid misunderstandings, normal bananas were used in this recipe (not cooking bananas or plantains)
Banana Curry Soup (makes approx. 4 big or 6 small servings)
Preparation and cooking: approx. 20 minutes
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
4 ripe bananas (peeled)
3 tsp. of curry powder or 1 tbsp. of curry paste (mild, medium or hot, depending on how spicy you like your soup)
750 ml / 3 cups vegetable stock (preferably low sodium)
250 ml / 1 cup low-fat milk*
2 tbsp. corn starch
1 pinch of salt
250 ml / 1 cup of cream (10%)
2 tbsp. of toasted sliced almonds, roasted pumpkin seeds or coconut chips
*For a lactose-free soup, substitute the milk and cream with 1 can of coconut milk, added right at the end.
- Heat the olive oil in a steel pot. Add onion and banana and sauté for approx. 5 minutes until banana is nice and soft.
- Sprinkle curry powder over banana and mix well.
- Add the vegetable stock and most of the milk (reserve 2 tbsp. of the milk). Cook for 5-10 minutes at medium heat.
- In a small bowl mix corn starch with 2 tbsp. of milk and stir until completely disolved. Add to soup and stir well with a whisker. Bring to a quick boil and then reduce temperature.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add the cream and whisk vigorously until the soup is nice and frothy (approx. 2 minutes).
- Serve immediately and garnish with toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds or coconut flakes.
PS: You can store leftovers in the fridge for a day. However, if reheating in a pot, make sure that you only use medium heat and that you stir continuously with a whisker to prevent sticking.
More by this Author
Fruit snacks are very fashionable these days. But do we really know what they contain? Are they really healthy, or are we just stuffing ourselves with unhealthy additives, artificial color and allergens? This article...
Most European visitors to North America will feel intimidated during their first few restaurant visits as the restaurant cultures are not only continents but worlds apart. While eating out is a social occasion in...
It is very important that you take your thyroid medication at least 30-60 minutes before your breakfast with a glass of water. Furthermore you should avoid certain foods or drinks that may interact with the absorption....