Baobab Fruit Wiki and Health Benefits
Adansonia Digitata, don’t get confused by the scientific name! Yes Adansonia Digitata is just a scientific name for baobab fruit. If you are a serious smoothie lover this fruit shouldn’t be new to you. However if you still don’t know what this baobab fruit is all about, it’s high time you should know about this super fruit. Baobab is an exotic fruit which is originated from African continent and spread to various parts of the globe later. African continent and its people are mostly attached to this baobab fruit, which is commonly known as monkey bread fruit.
These baobab fruits contain pulp which is rich in vitamin C and calcium. Baobab so far is the best source of calcium when compared to any other fruit. You know what; the sweet and lemony taste of baobab pulp is the added attraction in addition to its nutritional values. Let’s quickly check out some of the benefits and uses of this super fruit.
- As high as 150mg of vitamin C per 100g baobab pulp, thus making it the best source of vitamin C.
- An average of 293mg of calcium per 100g of baobab pulp makes it almost the unbeatable super fruit in terms of calcium content.
- Its naturally dried pulp contains high amounts of fiber, minerals and vitamin B2 and B3.
- This exotic fruit possess high anti oxidant content which is helpful to fight against viral infections.
- It is vastly used in soft drinks and ice creams as a natural flavor.
- Most importantly, this baobab pulp makes a great base especially for smoothies.
- Baobab is the active ingredient in many bakery items like snacks and biscuits.
- This pulpy baobab fruit is widely used in making jams and fruit syrups.
- Also the content from the baobab fruit is used as active ingredient in many skincare products like moisturizers, skin lotions and hair gels.
- The leaves of baobab tree can be used as a leafy vegetable for cooking, which is predominantly practiced in many African countries.
- Also the active vitamin content extracted from baobab is used widely these days as vitamin supplement.
Unlike some other super fruits, baobab is not readily available to buy especially if you are far away from African continent. But you still can buy the dried baobab pulp or in the form of organic powders from various baobab fruit companies through internet. Recently FDA officially approved the usage of baobab fruit in country. May be, it’s the next big super fruit that can rock super food charts!