Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipe: BBQ Sauce Meets Monterey Jack Cheese
The inspiration for this recipe comes from Chili's Restaurant. The preparation of Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipe Monterey Style is so simple, yet the combination of tangy barbecue sauce, Monterey Jack cheese, bacon pieces and fresh diced tomatoes and green onion all smothering boneless, skinless chicken breasts is addictive. The customers at our meal assembly store loved our version of Monterey Chicken. (I know that is not the first time I have made that claim...but, I am only posting our most popular recipes!) We love it because it is delicious, can be made ahead and freezes well.
Before the recipe, a word on barbecue sauce. As you might imagine, the barbecue sauce used is central to the recipe. We used a classic version by Cattlemen's, a popular brand that is available in large quantities. We suggest that you use your favorite BBQ sauce and once you are hooked, experiment. Some sauces are smokier than others, include honey and can even be made without sugar for dedicated low-carb fans. Different regions of the country enjoy twists on the standard ingredients of tomato paste, vinegar and spices. Variations include the addition of mustard, mayonnaise, molasses and heavy spices.
Buy BBQ Sauce On-line and Save
Gather and prepare the following ingredients as indicated. Note that this recipe serves 6. But, you don't have to cook it all at once. The assembly directions that follow show you how to divvy up the ingredients into smaller portions.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4-6 ounces each)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumpled or 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced (or 1/4 cup diced tomato in a canned, well drained)
- 1 green onion, chopped
Once you have prepped the ingredients, the assembly is easy:
- Layer the ingredients listed below in baking dishes or pans:
Monetery Jack cheese
BBQ Baked Chicken Monterey Style
2. Follow the cooking directions below to cook this entrée now.
3. Wrap portions you plan to freeze by encasing the baking tin in aluminum foil and then plastic wrap.
Print and Cut Cooking Directions
Barbecue Baked Chicken Monterey Style
Instructions: Thaw chicken in refrigerator for approx. 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake uncovered for approx. 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Internal temp. should be 170F.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with rice and salad.
Kid's Love BBQ Too! Save on these gifts:
Tips and Suggestions for Baked Barbecue Chicken Recipe Monterey Style
Over the years, we heard the following comments and suggestions:
- Use low-fat cheese, turkey bacon and no-sugar BBQ sauce and you have a South Beach Phase 1 entrée.
- Prepare individual servings by allocating the ingredients over the number of tins used.
- Leave out or add more of any ingredient!
- Need to punch of up the nutritional benefits - add pureed carrots, chick peas or flax seed to the BBQ sauce. The taste is usually so strong...nobody will know what you are up to!
- Yes...you can cook it and then freeze the cooked portions, even if the chicken was previous frozen uncooked. Later, just microwave the entrée to defrost.
- Consume within about 2 months of freezing for the best quality.
Other Baked Chicken Recipes
- Alice Springs Chicken Recipe Made Easy
I love this Alice Springs Chicken Recipe because it has all the appeal of the delicious entrée at Outback and it is simple to prepare. It was a favorite at our meal assembly kitchen!
- Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe with Artichokes a...
This Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe has it all: it's delicious, healthy, beautiful and it can be made ahead and frozen. A favorite at our meal assembly store, it is South Beach Phase I compliant and uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts smother
More by this Author
A crab cake, that is in fact mostly crab meat and not a bunch of filler, is a delicacy to savor. This recipe uses saltines to complement the delicate crab with just a hint of Old Bay, onion and celery. It is not...
This Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe has it all: it's delicious, healthy, beautiful and it can be made ahead and frozen. A favorite at our meal assembly store, it is South Beach Phase I compliant and uses boneless,...
- 5Egg-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free Convenience Products Available in the Grocery Store: A Food Allergy Resource Guide
This product guide is for anyone who is allergic to egg, dairy and soy (and peanut too!) or for the people who love them and never know what to buy at the grocery store. Scroll down to see the table of...