Barbecue Pork Chops Recipe
Some years ago I saw someone steam their beef ribs in beer before applying their BBQ rub or sauce. The ribs turned out great and I have adopted the method of cooking. I love cooking with alcohol as it give the meat an exceptional flavor.
This recipe is my own version and is done in under 90 minutes. It is quick and easy so you can't mess it up. You know how some bbq recipes takes skill? This one is error proof, even someone who has never cooked before can pull it off.
Note: For those of you who are diabetic, hypertensive or watching your weight see below for recommended barbecue sauces.
Cook Time more or less depending on your speed
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 10 min
- Yields: 4 - 6 depending on appetite
Barbecue pork chops ingredients
- 2 - 2 1/2 lb. baby pork chops. (About 12 ribs), These are from a younger pig and are tender and smaller.
- 1 stalk scallion, smashed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pimento seeds, grounded
- 1 pint lager beer
- Barbecue sauce of your choosing, quantity depends on your own taste
- salt, optional
- 1 branch fresh thyme
The middle burner - see instruction #2
Please take the poll
Are you a dry rub or barbecue sauce person?See results without voting
Here is how we cook our barbecue chops!
- First you need to marinate your baby pork chops. Smash the scallion and garlic to a pulp. Pound the pimento and rub them into the chops. Add a little salt and some fresh thyme. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- When you are ready, in a sauce pan, place your chops and pour the beer in. Cover and let simmer on medium low flames until the meat starts to peel away from the bones, about 20 minutes. ***************************************** I used a rectangular baking pan and covered it with foil. I cooked it in my middle burner which has an oblong shape - see photo.
- Turn your broiler on and let pre-heat while you prepare the bbq.
- When the meat is tender. On a cookie sheet or flat baking tray, cover with aluminium foil and lay your chops out.
- Using your basting brush, slather on your bbq sauce and place in broiler. Let broil for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Take out your chops, turn them over and slather bbq sauce on other side. Let broil for another 5 - 7 minutes depending on temperature of broiler.
- Repeat process for both sides if you like a thick layer. I certainly do. Omit second process if you are watching the weight or is not a sauce person.
- I know when my barbecue is done when I touch a piece of the meat with my fingers tip and the sauce does not come off. Then you know the sauce is sealed in the meat.
Nutrition data for Barbecue Pork Chops
|Serving size: 2 pieces|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 8 g|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 43 g||86%|
|Cholesterol 108 mg||36%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional nutrition data for bbq pork chops
% Daily Value
For a much healthier pork chop recipe............
- Omit the sauce and use a dry rub and smoking fluid.
- Serve with a low carb sauce which can be optional for some people
- If you are watching your sodium levels use a low sodium sauce and omit the salt.
- Omit the beer
- Slather on only one layer of sauce
Scott"s Diabetic BBQ sauce
BBQ sauces for the diabetic
This Barbecue sauce has no sugar or fat and is specially made for diabetics. According to Adam Scott the founder of the family business, he said the ingredients for this bbq sauce was revealed to him in a dream. The exact ingredients have been kept a family secret for generations. This sauce is also low in sodium so hypertensives can also enjoy it.
Smokin' Joe Jones
Another sauce to consider. Low sodium and sweetened with sucralose which has no calories so is not broken down by the body.
Kraft 30 Calorie barbecue sauce, original
Kraft Low Calorie barbecue sauce
For those of you who aren't really particular but still want to watch those calories, this low calorie barbecue sauce might be what you need. This is the one I usually use but in the recipe above I used the thick and spicy as my local supermarket was out of this one. Contains only 30 calories.
All photos in this hub are courtesy of the author.
© 2012 Carolee Samuda
More by this Author
The Otaheite apple is the Jamaican apple. It's very different from the American apple because it's spongier and holds more water. Here are some apple pie ideas.
Recipes for making the Jamaican Jerk Marinade and the dry jerk spice. About the Jamaican jerk spices. Sauce that can be served with your prepared jerk meat.
Want to know what Jamaica is known for? There are many things we are known for but here are the top ten.