How to Grill Sea Scallops (Recipe)
Rate the Grilled Sea Scallops Recipe
Grilling Sea Scallops
The key to great sea scallops is getting really fresh ones. Since sea scallops come in a range of sizes, try to get them about the size of a silver dollar so they won't fall through the slats of the grill. The best recipes for grilled sea scallops are simple and avoid extra fat and grease. We also don't recommend grilling scallops for large groups of people since they are a bit fiddly. If you're grilling several dozen at the same time, it's highly likely that they'll get over cooked because it takes a couple minutes just to flip several scallops with tongs. If you want to serve them to a large group, we recommend paring them with a beef option, so guests can enjoy a scallop or two, but you won't have to cook so many that they become difficult to manage. For a real treat, we love combining scallops with Wagyu beef. As the beef is resting, we put the scallops on the hot grill for a couple of minutes.
A couple of side dishes and cocktails go really well with scallops. We recommend serving fresh mojitos and grilled corn on the cobb.
Grill time for Sea Scallops
Barbecued Sea Scallops Ingredients
- Garlic Salt, Sprinkled on both sides
- Black Pepper, Cracked on both sides
- Olive Oil, Drizzled over the top
- Sea Scallops, Two to three medium scallops per person
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste on both sides of the scallops
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of sea scallops
- Let the scallops marinate in the olive oil, garilc salt and pepper for at least 30 minutes before grilling at room temperature. The scallops should be room temperature before placing on the grill.
- Barbecue at 400 degree heat for 1.5 to 2 minutes per side. Be careful to not overcook. Use a pair of tongs to flip and don't cook so many at one time that you can't manage them on the grill.
More by this Author
Filet Mignon, which comes from the beef tenderloin of a cow, is known for its tenderness and rich fat marbling.
I've tested dozens of bbq sauce recipes and these are the very best to make at home.
Barbecuing filet mignon is a science. Here is how to grill perfectly cooked steak every time that tastes and looks fantastic.