Basic Cake Decorating At Home: Complete List of Tools and Prices
Cake, cupcake and cookie decorating tools come in handy when birthdays, events and the holidays come around. Single, Married, with children or post-children, cake decorating is always an appreciated skill and is a great hobby. For me, it has become my career and I look forward to sharing the passion with you.
A fantastic job cannot be completed without the right tools, right? (Ever try to sweep your living room carpet because the vacuum cleaner was broken? Doesn't work really well does it?) The same rule applies to using baggies with the end cut off for piping icing.<Ick> The results are vastly different when the proper tools are used. There is no comparison.
Well, here is your Complete List to set up your cake decorating at home with a basic set of essential cake decorating tips and tools.
You will find it only costs a tiny bit of money to start up your decorating endevour! In upcoming articles, I will show you how to use these tools to gain your desired designs.
- Decorate Your Cakes Like a Pro Series: Making Roses and Icing Bag Tips
Make roses for your cakes! It's easy, I promise! Included also are piping (writing) tips, filling icing bags easily and avoiding carpal tunnel, wrist and hand injuries common in the field.
- Decorate Your Cakes Like a Pro Series: Tools and Tips
I work in a bakery, decorating cakes. Folks pay $50-150 for a cake it takes me 15 minutes to decorate, usually less. Here, we talk about purchasing your supplies. In the next article, we will delve into decorating.
All-Inclusive List of Tools For Basic Cake Decorating At Home
Cake decorating tools are each designated a universal number or a number/letter code by the manufacturers. The codes provide the easiest way to identify the tool's specific uses throughout the pastry arts industry.
How to read the list: You will only need one of each tool written in bold. To save a great deal of time, I recommend buying 2 or 3 of each tool if you have the few extra bucks to spend on them. Extra tools save you messy, time consuming clean up between colors.
- The # 4 Tip is my personal favorite. Some prefer a # 3 instead. (Costs approx. $1.00)
- # 3 is optional and provides a smaller hole for more detailed work, but the difference between a # 4 tip and a # 3 tip is negligible.
Most cake decorating sets will come with both of these writing tips. I use all Wilton decorating supplies through Wilton.com and Wilton's Annual Tent Sale.
- # 352 (Costs approx. $1.00)
Rose, Petal and Balloon Tips
- #125 (Costs approx. $1.00)
As indicated above, this # 125 tip is used for rose petals, other flower petals AND balloons.
- 1 1/4 inch (Costs approx. $1.00)
# 32 (Costs approx. $1.00)
11 inch Angled spatula.(Costs approx. $6.00)
Icing and Colors
Buttercreme Icing Ready-To-Use
- 5 lb. Tub White (Costs approx. $15.00)
- Primary Set of 4-12 Colors (Costs approx. $5.00-13.00)
- Pastel Set of 4-6 Colors (Costs approx. $5.00-$8.00)
- Coupler Ring (Costs approx. $2.00)
- Coupler (Costs approx. $2.00)
A coupler is designed to make cake decorating easier and minimize more mess and dishes to do later. I highly recommend purchasing couplers.
Disposable Decarating Bags
- One roll Small (Costs approx. $5.00 for a roll of 12)
- One roll Medium (Costs approx. $5.00 for a roll of 12)
Optional but handy (Costs approx. $15.00 for the least expensive/good table)
- Make sure they are NOT "safety-scissors" (Costs approx. $1.00)
Store-Bought Cake Mixes are best. (Costs approx. $2.00)
Any Decorations or Sprinkles (Costs approx. $.60 cents each)
- 8 inch (One or two)
- Sheet Cake Pan (any size Height and Length, Width should be at least 2 inches)
Cardboard- Cut to an inch wider on all sides of cake.
Buying a Tip Set
Tip Sets are very handy because they come in a carrying case to keep all of your tips organized. These sets tend to include tips that are not mentioned below, but are definitely fun to play with for the beginner and used frequently by the advanced decorators. I use the Master Tip Set from Wilton.
Buy Wilton's Master Decorating Tip Set- Best Price
- Wilton Cake Decorating – Brightening the Bakery Scene Since 1929
Any conversation about cake decorating will always bring up the name “Wilton.” The Wilton brand has been around since 1947, when women still wore aprons and most cakes were baked from scratch. In...
- Decorate a Cake, Essential Techniques for Decorating Cookies, Icing, Candy & More from Wilton
Get the essential techniques you need to decorate a cake from Wilton. Learn about decorating cupcakes, cookies and candy as well as decorating icing to create beautiful borders, flowers and more. Find everything you need to create a true masterpiece.
More by this Author
Easy and inexpensive, Cupcake cakes are a cute twist on the traditional sheet cake frequently made or store bought for graduation parties, communions, birthdays and national holidays. Cupcake cakes always wow the crowd...