Basic Meatloaf Recipes and Simple Variations to Make Ahead and Freeze
Our basic meatloaf recipes use ketchup, breadcrumbs or oatmeal and cheese. This old-fashioned presentation, which is moist and slices beautifully, is the ultimate comfort food. But, this easy to prepare entree does not have to be boring. Once we introduced our best ever meatloaf with sundried tomatoes at our make ahead recipe store to overwhelming applause, we decided to try some variations. Below are some favorite combinations of our customers:
- Spinach and pine nuts
- Bacon and cheddar cheese
- Salsa, Mexican cheeses and cilantro.
How long do you cook meatloaf in the oven? Answer: A one-pound loaf takes just one hour if it is completely defrosted and cooks in a standard pan. If it is already prepared and ready to go in the oven (which is the hallmark feature of our make ahead recipe process,) then that's an entire hour to do something you value (workout? read a good book? homework?) while a healthy and delicious dinner cooks in the oven.
Directions for the basic meatloaf recipe and variations are provided below.
Basic Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 Egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (approx. 1/2 medium sized onion)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup ketchup plus extra for the top
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs or oatmeal
- 1 pound ground beef
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the meat, to a large bowl and thoroughly combine with a spoon. (Tip: the ingredients will be uniformly distributed throughout the meatloaf by combining everything but the meat first.)
- Combine the ground beef with the mixture from step 1. (Tip: use a pair of plastic gloves during this step.) Make sure the ingredients are thoroughly combined, but don't over handle the meat or it will become tough.
- Lift the mixture into a loaf pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray. You can also press the mixture into large cupcake tins, mini loaf pans or make some of the mixture into meatballs.
- Press mixture into pan and smooth top.
- Spread additional ketchup on top, if desired.
- See cooking directions below to enjoy this recipe now.
- Wrap any portions you are going to freeze. Place lids on pans or encase with aluminum foil and then fully encase the covered pans in plastic wrap.
- Label with print and cut cooking directions below.
Print and Cut Cooking Directions
Basic Meatloaf Recipe With_________________________________
Instructions: Thaw in refrigerator for approx. 24-36 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for approx. 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 160F.
Serving Suggestions: Creamy mashed potatoes or Mock “cauliflower” potatoes and fresh green beans.
Spinach and Pinenut Meatloaf
Picky eaters won't know that vitamin-c packed spinach has been added. A sophisticated palate will enjoy the surprise of the pine nuts.
Addthe following ingredients to the Basic Meatloaf Recipe:
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- Follow the directions for the Basic Meatloaf Recipe. Add the spinach and pine nuts in step one.
Store All Your Favorite Cookbooks on a Kindle
Bacon and Cheese Meatloaf
All the ingredients of your favorite burger are included in this meatloaf.
Substitutecheddar or Monterey Jack cheese for the mozzarella cheese in the Basic Meatloaf Recipe.
Addthe following ingredients to the Basic Meatloaf Recipe:
- 1/4 cup bacon, cooked and diced
- Follow the directions for the Basic Meatloaf Recipe. Add the bacon in step one.
Buy Cookbooks at Amazon and Save
Cheesy Salsa Meatloaf
This version has a bit of a kick that is offset by the cheese. Try different types of salsas and get completely different results. (We love mango salsa!)
Make the following changes to the Basic Meatloaf Recipe.
- Substitute Monterey Jack cheese for mozzarella cheese
- Substitute Salsa for Ketchup
- Add 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Follow the directions for the Basic Meatloaf Recipe. Add the cilantro in step one.
More Tips and Suggestions
- Make memorable meatballs with any of the basic meatloaf recipes!
- Use cupcake tins or make mini loaves.
- Crumble cooked meat and make empanadas using crescent roll dough. Sandwich the filling between layers of dough and cook according to instructions.
- Serve with Creamy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes (cook these at the same time.)
More Make Ahead and Freeze Comfort Foods
- Molasses Marinated Pork Chops to Make Ahead and Free...
Don't tell anyone that your marinade has molasses in it! Just let them savor the sweet and tangy sauce that glazes the pork chops they are devouring. Yes...this is another favorite recipe from our meal...
- Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipe: BBQ Sauce Meets Monte...
Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipe Monterey Style is a copycat of a Chili's Restaurant favorite. Our meal assembly customers loved it too because it can be made ahead and frozen for easy preparation that night you want to indulge!
- Alice Springs Chicken Recipe Made Easy
I love this Alice Springs Chicken Recipe because it has all the appeal of the delicious entree at Outback and it is simple to prepare. It was a favorite at our meal assembly kitchen!
More by this Author
A crab cake, that is in fact mostly crab meat and not a bunch of filler, is a delicacy to savor. This recipe uses saltines to complement the delicate crab with just a hint of Old Bay, onion and celery. It is not...
After tasting the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe you'll join the ranks of thousands of our meal assembly kitchen customers that raved about this entree every month. Make ahead and freeze tips provided on this...
- 4Egg-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free Convenience Products Available in the Grocery Store: A Food Allergy Resource Guide
This product guide is for anyone who is allergic to egg, dairy and soy (and peanut too!) or for the people who love them and never know what to buy at the grocery store. Scroll down to see the table of...