Bear N Mom Recipes - Corn Chowder
My Mom loved chowders and made them from scratch. I'm not so talented and need to use prepared foods to make the same recipes that she made from bits of this and that.
Preparing the corn
In colonial days, corn was a staple and the farmers made use of it from eating it off the cob to taking the kernels off and using them in various other recipes.
The easiest way to husk corn without having to contend with all the silk is the cut off the heavy end of the ear. Then pull the leaves off the ear. This leaves the ear of corn free of the silk.
Husking Nibblets Off the Ears of Corn
In order to get fresh corn off the ears it is easiest to place the small end of the ear into the hole of a bundt pan and then slice downward to remove the kernels of corn.
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups frozen corn nibblets
- 2 mediium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 slices bacon
- salt and pepper
- Cook bacon until almost crisp. Remove from pan and crumble.
- Cook onions in bacon fat left in pan.
- Add 1 cup corn nibblets to 1 cup of milk and blend until smooth.
- Turn up heat to medium and add the creamed corn, the remaining 2 cups of corn and milk and potatoes to pot. Cook about 10 minutes until potatoes are softening and the soup is thickening.
- Add cream and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Chopped chives and the bacon bits can be added for additional flavor.
|Serving size: 1 5 oz. bowl|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|Sodium 610 mg||25%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This Product will do the job of husking the ears of corn.
More by this Author
Creamy based soup made with potato and shrimp.
Cauliflour or Broccoli make great soups when combined with cheese sauce.
Old World Recipe for Croatian Nut Rolls as related to me by someone who baked these every Easter.
No comments yet.