Bear N Mom Recipes - Helpful Hints for Vegetables
Sauce Over Vegetable
- Fresh lemon juice will remove onion scent from hands
- Cutting onions under cold water will reduce tendency for tears
- Add a little vinegar and lemon juice to potatoes before draining so that they are extra white when mashed
- Save leftover vegetables and the juice in a freezer container. When full add to tomato juice and seasoning to make a quick soup.
- If a fresh vegetable is a little older, prepare it with a sauce.
- Beans are easier to digest if chopped celery is added to about 2 cups of beans.
- If a vegetable grows above ground the rule is to boil them without a cover
- To retain coloring add a lump of sugar to the pot while cooking
- To retain flavor, do not rinse vegetables after they are cooked
- By boiling potatoes 10 to 15 minutes and then pricking with a fork you reduce the time it takes to bake potatoes
- By adding a little vinegar to the water you cut down the odor from cooking cabbage and cauliflower
- To make beans or corn more tender add salt halfway through cooking
- To make a one dish meal try grilling or crock potting vegetables with your meat
- The addition of sesame seeds, toasted chopped nuts, canned french fried onions or crushed seasoned croutons sprinkled over the vegetables will dress up butter vegetables
More by this Author
vegetarian frittata made with green peppers, onions and broccoli
Tomato salad to add color and zest to your meal.
Pot roast made in a crock pot with an oriental flavor.
No comments yet.