Bear N Mom Recipes - Potato Salad
Over the Years, I have always been partial to potato salad. My Mom made a pretty good potato salad and my Aunt made a unique potato salad with mustard added to the salad dressing. My next door neighbor made hers with and without hard boiled eggs because her nephew didn't eat eggs. Her potato salad was designated by another neighbor as the one that he would want at a block party because hers was the best.
To be honest, I have tried to make each of the three types and ended up using a mixture of my Mom's and the next door neighbor., I learned from the neighbor that the secret to good potato salad is to make sure that the potatoes are hot when you blend in the rest of the ingredients. As it marinates the flavor gets better and better.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: Large Serving Bowl
- 3 pounds red potatoes, I prefer baby size
- 1/2 dozen eggs, hard boiled
- 3 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 small white onion, diced small
- 1 medium green pepper, diced small
- 1 quart Miracle Whip
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 16 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 170 mg||57%|
|Sodium 1322 mg||55%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Boil the red potatoes until tender.
- Boil the eggs and place pot in cold water. Take eggs out of shells, dice and set aside in small bowl.
- Dice your onion, celery and green pepper. The amount you dice depends on how much crunch you want in your potato salad.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes without taking off the skins. If there is a piece of skin that comes loose, you can pick it out and throw it away.
- Place half of your cubed potatoes in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Cover the potatoes with half of the diced vegetables.
- Cover the diced vegetables with half of the eggs.
- Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 until you have all of the ingredients in the bowl.
- Pour the quart of Miracle Whip over the mixture and mix through the potato, egg and vegetable mixture until the Miracle Whip is totally mixed.
- Place the finished potato salad into your serving bowl and garnish with the strips of green pepper you have saved when chopping the vegetables.
I always use my egg slicer to cut the eggs for the potato salad. Then I dice the slices in half while I put them into the mix.
I cut an even amount of potatoes and hard boiled eggs and layer them with some of the diced vegetables.
When I have the entire bowl filled then I use my hands to mix the salad dressing through the potato salad.
To serve at a party I use a pan the type you see above and fill the lid with ice cubes to keep the salad from going bad during the party.
More by this Author
My alternative to Suddenly Salad Box Macaroni Salads.
Creamy macaroni salad that boasts shrimp and chopped vegetable flavorings.
Old World Recipe for Croatian Nut Rolls as related to me by someone who baked these every Easter.
No comments yet.