Becoming Vegetarian Among Meat Eaters
How to Survive
Have you been thinking about becoming a vegetarian but don't know how you will survive in a meat eating world? Unless some of your friends and family are vegetarians, getting started can be challenging. There are a few things that you can do to make it easier.
Do you do the grocery shopping and cooking or does someone else?
- If you shop and cook, your effort towards becoming a vegetarian just got easier. There are beaucoup vegetarian cookbooks, websites, and videos full of help.
- Meat substitutes are great during the transition period. Many of the favorite recipes you use right now can be made with faux meat products from your local store. If your store doesn't carry them, ask them to.
Helping Prepare Food
Making the Vegetarian Change Work
Does someone else do the cooking at your house? When other people are involved during the time when you are becoming a vegetarian, some type of understanding needs to be reached.
- Be honest with the cook. Give your reasons for wanting to change your eating habits. Then, ask for consideration of your wishes when he or she is preparing a meal.
- You may need to do some of the food preparation yourself to get what you want.
Dinner with Friends
Eating Out Vegetarian
Do you often eat out with friends and business associates? When I was becoming a vegetarian, I would sometimes fudge.
- If you find yourself in a difficult situation, do what you have to do. Then, get back on track.
- You will probably fall off the wagon at some point (pepperoni pizza, dinner with in-laws). After a few vegetarian months under your belt, sticking to it won't be so difficult.
- Whenever possible, choose restaurants with options for you. You can look at menus on-line. When you're becoming a vegetarian someone is sure to ask why you're not eating meat. You can respond with something like, "I'm trying to eat healthier."
Bring a Vegetarian Home
Resistance at Home
What if you have a parent or spouse who insists that you eat meat? You may find yourself in a situation where someone who controls what you eat can't be convinced that becoming a vegetarian is a good choice for you.
- If insisting on eating the way you choose isn't an option, then accept your situation in the presence of the other person, but load up on the good stuff (vegetables) and decrease the bad (meat).
- Get hold of some literature (books, flyers, website info.) and leave it lying around.
- Invite a vegetarian friend to your house for dinner. Find one you think they will like.
Becoming a vegetarian can be challenging. Old temptations draw you in. If you eat something off target once a month or even once a week, you can still consider yourself a vegetarian. Like smoking, to fully escape the old meat habits you have to stop eating meat at some point. Rest assured, you will love your new way of eating as much as the old once you get used to it. Someday you'll smell meat cooking and think, "That smells disgusting."
More by this Author
Three reasons why we spank children to discipline; should we spank children; discipline; and more. Should we spank children--examined.
Easy painting activities for children of all ages. These painting ideas for preschool art projects are a healthy way for kids to express themselves and to learn. You will love these art and craft ideas using paint....
Air Conditioning scams that take money from homeowners' pockets are very common and an easy way for technicians to make big profits for their company. Learn what scams are used and how to save money.