Beef Roast with Hatch Green Chiles AND Dukan Inspired!
It must be Autumn in the Southwest because...
The smell of roasting chiles outside the grocery stores here portend autumn for us. We won't have a tomato killing frost until sometime in late October but the time is NOW to enjoy the fruits of the Hatch New Mexico Chile harvest.
Here is a savory hearty recipe that also qualifies as a Dukan diet inspired recipe.
Shhhh..... no one but you need ever know this meets the guidelines of a diet program!!
Green Chile Beef Stew
Two Step Process
This recipe is done in two steps but neither of these two steps are the least bit difficult.
The first day is slow cooking the rump roast (or other cut of beef) in your slow cooker. Note, the roast is raised above the broth in order to make a more firm roast. The roast remains nice and moist because of the broth below it, though.
The second day involves making a Hatch green chile mixture and then sliding the sliced beef up in the mixture. The broth was chilled and any other fat that rose to the top was skimmed off. Heat the mixture and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Step ONLY
Both Steps Ingredients
- 5 pound round beef roast
- 6 garlic cloves, cleaned and left whole
- 6 Hatch Green Chiles, charred skin and tops removed
- Next Day use cooled beef and broth
- all broth from slow cooker, fat skimmed off
- 2 rough chopped onions
- 6 Hatch Green Chiles, cleaned and sliced
- dash or two Hot Sauce
- 2 t. ground cumin
Both Steps Included Here
- Spray slow cooker with cooking oil and insert a small foil plate also sprayed with cooking oil Set slow cooker to high.
- Pat dry meat. Insert garlic cloves in meat and cover with Hatch green chiles
- Add 2 two roughly chopped onions and several drops of Liquid Smoke (2-4 depending on tastes)
- Follow slow cooker recipe guidelines for how long to cook your beef. This took about 5 hours. Three hours on high and one hour on low.
- Chill both the meat and the broth in the refrigerator overnight SEPARATELY.
- Next day, skim any fat off the broth. Slice up an onion and lightly saute it in a Dutch oven until the onion is transparent. Remove the charred skin and tops of about 6 more Hatch Chiles and roughly chop them up. Leave in the seeds for maximum heat. Add the smokey flavored ground cumin.
- Add the Hatch Chiles. Bring to a boil. Add the beef and reduce heat. Cook about 20 minutes. Taste. Add more heat if needed (I added some Tabasco Chipotle!)
Slow Cooker Meat Cooking
Prep of Meat
Ready to Slow Cook
Roasted Green Chiles
Next day Prep Begins
Oh yes, I did.
Frozen to your door....USA
More by this Author
Pasta Noodles the New Mexico way. A yummy easy pasta for kids and adults! Easy to make and VERY easy to enjoy! Less than a dollar to make~!
Chili Soup Recipe. A hearty family pleasing meal. Midwestern USA in origin.
Pork Roast Clay Pot cooking recipe. Excellent Holiday entertaining meal.