Beer Can Chicken Made On Your Barbecue Grill
Upon hearing about this recipe I thought nah that cannot be correct. What does a chicken have to do with a beer can? After further investigation I just had to try making this on my own. Four years later I am still making this chicken at least twice a week during the grilling season. The chicken will be juicy, full of flavor and crispy on the outside.
There are several beer can chicken utensils/ roasters than you can purchase for making these chickens or you can just use a beer can. I use one that is very similar to the Norpro Vertical Poultry Roaster and find that it works perfect.
What You Will Need For This Recipe.
Beer in a Can
I use Montreal Chicken Spice or Cajun Spice
Garlic cloves sliced
Getting Your Gas Grill Ready
To avoid any flare-ups you will want to cook the chicken or chickens using indirect heat. To do this start your grill and heat it up to 400°F. When you have your chickens ready to go turn off the middle burner leaving the two side burners on.
Getting Your Chicken Ready
- Pour half of the beer out of the can and either drink it or give it to someone else to drink, please don’t waste the beer.
- Wash off the beer can.
- Depending on the spices you are going to use, measure out about a tablespoon of the spices and add them into the beer can.
- Wash the chicken or chickens and spice the cavity as well as the outside of the bird. I personally like to slip garlic cloves under the skin of the chicken, but that just depends on if you like garlic or not.
- Place the beer can into the roasting device and then firmly push the chicken onto the device sitting on top of the beer can roaster.
Back To The Grill
- Turn your grill burners to medium and set a foil pan on the center of the grill.
- Place your chickens on top of the foil pan, close lid and cook until chicken reaches 180 F. You can check this using a meat thermometer.
- You do not need to baste the chicken while it is cooking, as the juices will flow down and over the bird as it cooks.
- Once done, remove the chickens carefully and let them sit five minutes before carving.
If you are totally opposed to beer, you can use any type of can that will fit into the device. Add some type of liquid and spices to the can.
More by this Author
Recipe for pork chops baked in the oven with cream of mushroom soup and potatoes. Very easy recipe to follow.
Create beautiful fruit and vegetable trays, fruit baskets and more with three easy to use tools. Transform vegetables into artistic masterpieces that will impress family and guests.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.