Benefits Of Mineral Water
Pure water, Sparkling water, Carbonated water; are all terms associated with packaged water, whether it is in sachet or bottled. While the need for 'cool and pure refreshing water', commands the immediate appeal, the mineral contents offers great benefits in different ways which spans from Health through tourism to the commercial.
Mineral water is seen by most pople as carbonated or simply, soda water. But tasteless natural water can contain the same types and amount of minerals as 'fizzy water'. The difference is that, carbonated water contain more carbon (IV) oxide added by artificial means. Sparkling water (spring water) also contains large amount of Carbon (IV) oxide but not to the fizzy level. Also, spring water tends to gradually lose its CO2 content when exposed.
Carbonated and natural mineral water
Important Mineral Contents
Chemical contents in mineral water according to the European union standard are as follows:
Calcium (Ca2+) 32.3 mg/ml
Magnesium (Mg2+) 5.4 mg/ml
Sodium (Na+) 1.0 mg/ml
Potassium (K+) 0.5 mg/ml
Bicarbonates (HCO-) 122 mg/ml
Sulfates (SO42-) 3.6 mg/ml
Chloride (Cl-) 1.2 mg/ml
Silicates (SiO2) 4.1 mg/ml
Nitrates (NO3-) 1.1 mg/ml
Nitrites (NO2-) <0.002 mg/ml
You can purify your water at home and add the essential Iodine by simply making some purchase here:
Important Functions of Minerals in Water
There are so many minerals present in mineral water but the most important are being presented in the Health benefits of Mineral water. But we must first state that low mineral water is recommended if the intention is to rehydrate a dehydrated body, because it is easily absorbed by the body. Also, scientific research is of the opinion that natural minerals consumed in food fits better into the body system than from water.
Before stating the impact of the four most important minerals present in mineral water, we should present a brief explanation of each of their most important biological functions in the living human body. This is as presented below:
Iron - A central component of Blood Haemoglobin where it aids in the transport of oxygen through the Arteries and delivery to body tissues where the oxygen is needed for oxidative metabolic activities. Also strengthen and beautify the skin.
Calcium - It is synonymous with the phrase, "strong bones and Teeth" because it is well known to fortify the Bones and Teeth.
Magnesium - This is essential in the body immune defence system and regulation of blood pressure.
Sodium - Is a combination with potassium are very important in nervous coordination and transfer of impulse across the neurons. They are also They are also important in the transfer of fluids across membranes.
Sulfate - Is known for its detoxification properties.
Health Benefits of Mineral Water
• Fibromyalgia - Bathing in hot spring, popularly called "hot spring therapy", is a known way of treating Fibromyalgia. Although this condition and treatments are not well established, it is believed that the mineral contents of the hot spring can cure Fibromyalgia, Arthritis and problems in the digestive Tissues. Drinking mineral water is also believed to cure pains in muscles and connective Tissues.
• Rheumatism - Mineral water is also known to have the potential to prevent joint pains and swelling because of it's anti-inflamatory properties.
• Lactose Intollerance - People who cannot drink milk due to the complications that might result can find mineral water as a great source of calcium. As such they will not only be prevented from diseases which might result from Calcium deficiency, but the temptation looking upto milk.
• Cardiocascular Diseases - Apart from reducing blood pressure, mineral water is known to reduce the level of LDL (low density lipoproteins) otherwise called "bad cholesterol", and increase the level of HDL (High density Lipoprotein) called the good Cholesterol. In this way, it helps to prevent Heart attack and other Heart diseases that might result in the future.
• Osteoporosis - The Calcium content helps to re-inforce bone density in the elderly and reduce bone loss.
• Kidney Stone - Mineral water helps to increase the quantity of Calcium and magnesium in the body which helps to reduce the amount of Calcium oxalate in the Kidney. Uric acid concentration in the kidney is also reduced to a large estent by drinking mineral water.
Importance Of Mineral Water in Tourism
Mineral contents in water has attracted the attention of Tourists around the world. While the attention is more towards the aquifers in Europe, it is the hot spring in the Yankari game reserve in Northern Nigeria, that is rather interesting. Compared to other hot springs around the World, the Yankari spring attracts at least twenty thousand visitors annually.
The Yankari hot spring represents a therapeutic and recreational characteristics. Local Indigenous people living around this Savana Area are long aware of the therapeutic property of the water. There is the belief that special supernatural powers are present in the water which helps in curing diseases. But this is simply dissolved minerals in hot water.
Analysis and emphasis on the mineral component of packaged water brings in an interest that goes beyond the need to cure hydration and taste to nutrition. This gives a market boom that saw water bottling plants springing up in corners around the World, even rather more rapid in developing countries. Whole-salers and retailers are catching in on this opportunity to put food on the table.
Environmental Impact of Bottled Water
Water Packaging materials in the form of Bottles and Sachets have turned out to become a nuisance. Although there is a drive towards making them with Biodegradable materials, the sight of mass of floating water bottles in natural water bodies around big cities are rampant. One example is the Lagos Lagoon in Nigeria, where you can find large quantity of floating water packaging materials around bridges. This situation also extends to small water bodies in other cities such as the Ikpoba Brook in Edo state, where packaging materials floats through sewage from Benin City into the water body, creating a temporally gutter before the material is transported by the water to "god knows where". This is a threat to aquatic life! Sadly, similar situation exists in Cities around the World.
More by this Author
Benefits of edible Maggots that includes; nutritional value of palm tree weevil larvae, Larvae Recipe, and environmental and social impact.
Uses of Palm wine in bakery and food Preservation, Types of Palm Trees for making Palm Wine, Social-cultural impact of Palm Wine.
How to make Biodiesel or Soap Lye from plantain. Preparation, Test: Chicken Feather and fresh egg. KOH Concentration calculation in Extract.