Benefits of Raw Honey
The use of honey dates further back than many people realize. Honey was first cultivated by the Egyptians for food and medicinal purposes. Honey was so valuable that it was used as currency at one time. Even in the Americas, honey was already being consumed by the Native Americans before the white man stepped foot on the land.
Honey is a super food like no other and is best consumed raw. Raw honey is honey that has not been strained, heated or filtered. Commercial honey is usually processed with sugar and high fructose corn syrup - the stuff that's bad for you. Raw honey contains endless nutrients, including calcium, copper, vitamin C, zinc, magnesium, potassium, antioxidants, live enzymes and protein.
Raw honey can be found at most grocery stores all year round. Be sure to check labels and make sure what you are buying is really raw (and organic). Your best bet will always be to buy locally, from farmers markets and local beekeepers. Grocery stores like Whole Foods are another fine option.
Health Benefits of Raw Honey
- Honey raises levels of antioxidants in the body.
- Treats viral, bacterial and fungal infections.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Lowers blood sugar levels.
- Alleviates hay fever and seasonal allergies.
- Raw honey is more effective than over-the-counter cough syrups.
- Can help to prevent certain cancers.
- Aids in indigestion, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other stomach upsets.
- Use honey topically to ease arthritis and other pains.
- Raw honey can give you a boost of natural energy. Many athletes take eat a bit of honey to energize them before their performance.
- Soak feet in warm water and honey to treat athlete's foot.
- Use honey as a facial mask. Apply a thin layer of honey onto the face. This will clear up acne and keep your skin soft.
- Mix raw honey and jojoba oil and rub onto dry, cracked skin.
- Rub a bit of honey on a burn to ease throbbing and prevent blistering. Also great for scrapes, cuts and bruises.
- Honey in its raw form can even help you shed unwanted weight
How to Get More Honey in Your Diet
You should consume raw honey everyday to reap its benefits.
Stop using sugar and start using honey to your foods instead. Honey tastes wonderful in oatmeal, toast, teas and coffee.
For stomach upsets, cough or cold, mix a spoonful of raw honey with warm water and lemon. Mix well and drink. Repeat as often as necessary.
Some Fun Facts About Honey
Honey bees have five eyes.
In order to make a pound of honey, bees must tap over two million flowers. An average honey bee only makes about a half of a teaspoon in it's lifetime.
Honey will never spoil if it is put in air tight containers.
King Tut's tomb contains vats of honey that is still edible, even after over 2,000 years!
Legend has it that Cupid would dip his love arrows in honey.
Honey is mentioned many times in the bible. Isreal was referred to as "A land flowing in milk and honey" (Exodus 3:6-8). John the Baptist survived on nothing but honey while preaching in the desert (Matthew 3:1-4) and even Revelations contains this verse: "Take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey" (Revelation 10:7-11)
Never feed raw honey to a baby under 12 months old without consulting a doctor first. Pregnant women should also speak to their doctor about consuming raw honey.
References: Penn State University of College and Medicine, Mayoclinic.com, Web M.D, Dr. Gotte (Research performed at University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand)
Did you enjoy this hub? Please check out my other hubs that relate to health.
- The Fascinating Pomegranate: Its History and Health Benefits
The pomegranate fruit has a rich and fascinating history. It's health benefits surpass that of most other fruits.
- What You Should Know About Free Radicals
Should you be concerned about free radicals? Learn how free radicals affect you and the powers of antioxidants.
- Figs: A Super Tasty Super Food
Looking to add an amazing superfood to your diet? Look no further than the fig!
- Animal Free: Is a Vegan Diet Healthy?
Should you switch to a vegan lifestyle? Read the pros and cons here.
- Allergy Remedies: Treat Allergies Without Medication
Allergies affect millions of people. Learn how to releive your symptoms naturally and without medication.
More by this Author
The music industry is full of egomanics. There is nothing worse than an artist who does not respect their fans, trashes fellow musicians and treats everyone like garbage. I know there are generous, humble and thankful...
It's a lot of fun to think up baby names when you are expecting. It can also be a bit of a challenge. After all, your baby is going to carry the name you give her or him for the rest of their lives. It is an important...
Everyone dreams, but what does it mean if you dream about flying or teeth falling out? Learn more about what your subconscious mind is trying to tell you.