Best Smoked Pulled Pork and Beef Brisket
Delicious Pulled Pork
Smoking two Meats at Once
We love to barbeque, and that also means using our smoker. Since using the smoker is time consuming, we decided to smoke two different types of meats together. Our daughter and her finance were visiting. Our plan was to smoke the pork butt on top of the beef brisket, and let the juices of the spice and meats blend together.An old-fashioned backyard barbecue was just what we needed.
The night before we smoked the meat, we made two rubs, using well-tried recipes. Both meats were rubbed thoroughly and wrapped in Saran wrap for the night.
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 3 tbsp. kosher sea salt
- 2 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cayene pepper
- 2 tbsp. Watkins chili powder
- 2 tsp. dried mustard
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 4.5 lb. pork butt roast
Pork Cooking ProcessClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Mix the dry ingredients well. Work the dry rub into the meat and wrap it in Saran wrap or aluminum foil to refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap the meat the next morning, and put it on a tray. When the smoker is at the ideal temperature with the brisket already cooking, place the pork butt on top of the beef brisket.
- Close the smoker and let it smoke for several hours, adding water and charcoal as necessary to keep the smoker in the ideal temperature range. The cook time will depend on the weight of the meats and if the temperature is keep hot enough. Typically, it will take 3-4 hours and the internal temperature will be 195°.
- You may also sprinkle additional rub on the pork during the cooking process.
- The pork will be done before the beef.
- Once you have the pork in the kitchen and cooled for a half hour; shred the meat with two forks or your fingers into bite size pieces. Before long you will be eating the most mouth watering pulled pork you have ever tasted.
|Serving size: 1.4 pound|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 60 mg||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Beef BrisketClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Cook Brisket - Rub Recipe
- 2 tbsp. kosher sea salt
- 2 tbsp. Watkins chili powder
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp. dry mustard
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. tbsp. sugar
- 1 medium onion cut up in small pieces
- 2 cups beef stock
Make a dry rub by combining the first seven ingredients. Mix well. Trim excess fat off the beef brisket. Thoroughly rub the dry mixture into the beef and wrap tightly in Saran wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Brisket in a smoker is well worth the work.
Soak hickory chips in water. Prepare smoker with charcoal and when the fire gets going, add the hickory chips. Fill the water pan, adding some cider vinegar and about a 1/2 cup of rum. When the temperature reaches ideal, add the brisket. Let cook until the temperature reaches ideal again, and then add pork butt.
Put beef broth and onions in small saucepan, Add 1 tsp. of kosher salt, 1 tsp of pepper, and 1 tsp of garlic powder. Simmer and you can use this to past the brisket. You can spoon the broth over the beef after it has been sliced as well.
Brisket takes approximately an hour per pound to cook. Due to the mixture of beef and fat, check the temperature in several places, and the internal temperature should be at least 175°.
•Charcoal smoker for authentic smokehouse flavor at home
•Can accommodate a whole turkey and an entire ham at the same time
•Made of porcelain-enameled steel; 2 nickel-plated 22-1/2-inch-wide cooking grates
•Water pan; thermometer; individual vents on bowl and lid; heat-resistant nylon handle and Weber Cover.
Smoked Pulled Pork
We had the pulled pork the first night. We also had some fresh, sweet white corn that we quickly sautéed on the stove with a little butter. To top it off we had some yeast rolls, which worked great to make pulled pork sandwiches, as you could make a nice sandwich without the amount of bread in a regular bun.
I hope you have enjoyed these two recipes and entertain the possibility that is fine to cook two different types of meat on the smoker. Please rate the pulled pork recipe under ratings.
Enjoy a summer of wonderful food cooked on the grill and in the smoker.
Do you use a smoker to cook meats?See results without voting
Some of my Other Food Hubs
- Tuna -Easy Blackened Tuna Recipe
This article has an easy, delicious recipe for blackened tuna and the way to blacken fish is described in detail. There is also a recipe for grilled tuna with honey mustard marinade.
- Creole Cooking Recipes - Easy Cajun Cooking
The Arcadian in Southern Louisiana are experts in Cajun cooking. This article has delicious Cajun recipes with pictures. These easy recipes make a delicious meal.
- Easy Dessert Recipes for Summertime
Easy desserts for summer are featured in this article. They include banana pudding,home-made ice cream, pineapple,and chocolate chip ice cream pie, plus blueberry-lemon Tiramisu.
- Easy Appetizers with Party Flair
Have a party with flair. Try these easy, delicious appetizer recipes that your guests will love. The variety of appetizers offered should satisfy anyone's palate.
Article (C) June, 2012 by Pamela Oglesby. All rights reserved. Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing
More by this Author
This is a wonderful meal with the perfect recipe for cooking prime rib with the best seasonings. There is also a recipe for garlic mashed red potatoes.
This article has 2 excellent recipes for Sunday dinner using pork loin. The first is cooked on the rotisserie. The second recipe is Cho shao, a Cantonese recipe for roast pork.
There are 5 delicious easy dessert recipes in this article that are different and delicious. These delicious recipes are perfect for special occasions. Most of them are quick recipes for desserts.