Best Beef Pepper Steak Recipe
How would you rate this pepper steak recipe?
Easy Beef Recipes
Although I like to limit the amount of red meat that my family eats, choosing high quality cuts of beef helps to keep this a healthy recipe. This is an easy beef recipe that has been a family tradition since I was young. Pepper steak was one of my dad's favorite dishes to cook for us when we were kids. We always knew that we would be eating good that night! As my sister and I grew older, we carried on the tradition of making this delicious dish for our families and it is a favorite meal for our kids as well. This recipe takes about an hour to make but is a great meal to prepare ahead of time and heat up on those busy school nights!
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 4 servings
Ingredients for Pepper Steak
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak (or steak cut of your choice)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2/4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2-3 Peppers (any color you choose)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 package Au Jus Mix
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Pictures of Making the Pepper SteakClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for Making Pepper Steak
- Slice the beef into long strips of meat that are about 1/4 in thickness and about 2 inches long.
- Heat a pan on medium heat with the olive oil. Dredge the pieces of meat in flour and brown the meat. This is not to completely cook the meat, just to seal the juices and get a nice crust on the meat.
- Remove the meat from the pan and saute the onions (sliced lengthwise like the meat). Be sure that you use your cooking spoon or spatula to lift the meat bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Once the onions have begun to brown, slice the peppers into long strips and add them to the pan to saute. Once the vegetables have softened, add the meat back to the pan.
- Prepare the au jus mix according the directions on the package. If you like to have your pepper steak sauce a little thicker like I do, add a tablespoon or two the mix before heating it.
- After the gravy is heated, pour it over the meat and vegetables in the pan. Add the teaspoon of sugar. (Don't skip this step, it really is the secret ingredient to making the sauce taste so good!) Then put the quartered tomatoes over the top and allow them to cook down as the dish cooks over medium low heat for about 20-30 minutes. I actually didn't have tomatoes when I made this recipe so I used about 1/4 cup of crushed tomatoes. It worked perfectly because it still gave that hint of tomato flavor.
Serving Pepper Steak
We have always served our pepper steak over rice. The gravy that it makes is so delicious and the rice just soaks it up! If you are not a fan of rice or are out at the moment, try serving it over egg noodles. This would be a great alternative for your meal. You could even serve it with a fresh loaf of bread to help you soak up that tasty gravy!
More by this Author
Cooking for Easter can be fun and tasty. Getting your kids involved in cooking your Easter meal will make your holiday even more special. Here are some fun and easy recipes that you will enjoy making with your...
Looking for a great macaroni and cheese recipe that is sure to please the kids? This one is fast, easy, delicious, and includes hidden vegetables!
From math to science to learning to read, many animated tv shows enhance a child's learning. Here is a list of fantastic shows that will keep your child learning the entire time.