Soft & Moist Carrot Cake Recipe - It's Gluten Free & Dairy Free
I got this recipe many years ago from a friend who used to work for an English couple in London. She was their housekeeper and lived in their mansion for many years. During the time she was working there, her job was to keep the mansion spotlessly clean and prepare meals for the English couple every day. She told me her boss loved to have desserts and sweets after dinner, and they had to be gluten free and dairy free, too. Her boss provided her with a collection of heirloom recipes which he expected her to prepare for his meals and according to his diet requirements. All she had to do was follow the instructions on the recipes and whipped up the most delicious meals and desserts. Amongst all the cakes recipes, this carrot cake was the Englishman's favourite.
Sometimes it is hard to come up with a soft and moist gluten free cake, mainly because most baking recipes contain gluten and dairy ingredients that help the cakes rise well and have better texture. When I first had this recipe, I was not sure if anybody (including me) was going to like this gluten free carrot cake. At that time, I was not a big fan of carrots either. Surprisingly, it turned out to be a big winner and nobody even noticed it was gluten free and dairy free. It also did not take long for the cake to be eaten up!
This carrot cake recipe is suitable for people who are intolerant to gluten and dairy products.
Moist Carrot Cake Recipe
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 50 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: serves 8 people
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- First switch on the oven to 170°C and let it preheat for 10 minutes. Prepare the following ingredients while the oven is preheating.
- Put eggs, vegetable oil, raw sugar, vanilla essence and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir with a spoon to mix.
- Slowly add in carrots and fold into the mixture. Make sure the carrots are evenly coated with the mixture.
- Add in rice flour, dessicated coconut, baking soda, baking powder and ground cinnamon. Fold in the dry ingredients gently. The mixture will start to look a bit dry and difficult to mix.
- Slowly pour in the apple juice and mix until the mixture looks like a thick batter and there are no lumpy bits of flour.
- Grease the sides of a 20cm round or square cake tin and line the bottom with a grease-proof baking sheet. Pour in mixture and bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Test with a bamboo skewer to check if cake is thoroughly cooked in the centre. If the skewer comes out clean, then the cake is ready. Otherwise, lower the temperature to 160°C and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes if necessary.
- When the cake is ready, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Then remove the cake from the baking tin and transfer it to a wire rack to cool.
- The carrot cake is ready to serve when cooled.
Vote for Gluten Free Carrot Cake
- How To Use A Thermal Cooker - Everyday Recipes for M...
Food only takes less than 20 minutes to cook on the stove and the thermal cooker will do the rest of the cooking. Information on how to use the thermal cooker with recipes for easy and hearty meals.
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls - A Healthy and Gluten Free ...
A quick and easy recipe for making delicious Vietnamese spring rolls served with dipping sauce.
- Gluten-Free Pancake Stack Recipe For Dinner
Pancakes are quick and easy to prepare, and they are great for dinner. This is a recipe for making gluten-free pancakes. It is suitable for people who are gluten intolerant, on gluten-free diets and anybody who just prefer less gluten in their foods.
- Gluten Free Bread Recipe
Recipe for making gluten free bread ...
- How To Make Sweet Bread Buns
Enjoy your afternoon tea with these sweet soft and fluffy bread buns. Reward yourself with these freshly baked buns that are so easy to make and bake.
- Cinnamon Loaf - A Soft White Bread Recipe
You don't have to eat the same boring white bread every morning. Have a great start for the day by indulging yourself in this soft homemade cinnamon bread for breakfast.
© 2012 lady rain
More by this Author
Easy recipes for making steamed white radish cake and fried radish cake.
Food takes less than 20 minutes to cook on the stove and the thermal cooker will do the rest of the cooking. Information on how to use the thermal cooker with recipes for easy and hearty meals.
The Malaysian state of Sarawak situated on the island of Borneo is a great holiday destination. It was colonised by the British in the nineteenth century and still retains many interesting colonial structures.