Best Courgette Recipes
Though courgette, like a squash, is a traditionally American food, this variety, which is called "zucchini" or "courgette" actually was developed in Italy. Italians called it "zucchini" and French called it "courgette". Currently both names are used interchangeably.
Different nations use courgette differently. For example in some cuisines flowers are used more often, in others fruits are more popular.
The zucchini fruit is very nutritious. It contains useful amounts of potassium, vitamin A and folate. 1/2 cup of courgette contains 19% of the recommended amount of manganese. Besides it is very low in calories (approximately 15 food calories per 100g of fresh courgette).
Today I'd like to share three courgette recipes which I consider the best.
Courgette Recipes. #1 - Zucchini Lasagna with Cheese and Oregano
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 50 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 5 min
- Yields: 1 baking dish of lasagna
- 0.25 lbs (120g) of fat-free cream cheese
- 1 lbs (450g) of Ricotta cheese
- 2 courgettes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 6 lasagna sheets
- 1.5 oz (40g) of grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 430 F (220 C).
- Lightly grease a square baking dish with butter, set aside.
- Mix cream cheese and Ricotta together, add salt and pepper.
- In another bowl mix courgette, garlic, oregano and add salt and pepper.
- Put 1/3 of courgette mixture into the baking dish. Put 2 lasagna sheets on top and 1/3 of cheese mixture on top of that.
- Repeat twice with the remaining mixture of courgette, cheese and lasagna sheets.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Take the foil off and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Let stay for 10 minutes before serving.
Courgette Recipes. #2 - Zucchini Pancakes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 40 minutes
- 1/2 of a glass of flour
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 of a glass of Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 courgette
- 1/2 of a glass of water
- Heat frying pan.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a separate bowl beat an egg, Greek yogurt and melted butter together. Add flour mixture to this one and mix everything.
- Grate courgette and add it mixing thoroughly until it is evenly distributed in the dough.
- Gradually add water until the dough reaches the desired consistency.The more water you add, the thinner pancakes will be. 1/2 of a glass is enough for the pancakes to be rather thin.
- Pour 1/3 of dough into the frying pan. Fry each side for 5 minutes. When you see the bubbles around the edges, it's time to flip the pancakes.
- Serve courgette pancakes with butter and maple syrup.
Courgette Recipes. #3 - Courgette Soup with Potato
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 0.8 lbs (350g) of potato
- 0.5 lbs (250g) of courgette
- 17oz (500ml) of chicken broth
- 1 glass of 10% cream
- Sauté onion and garlic in a pan.
- Add sliced potato and courgette and stew for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bring everything to boil and cook for 15 minutes on low heat under the lid.
- Cool the soup a little bit and make puree from it.
- Add cream.
- Cool, decorate with the greens and serve.
More by this Author
There are dozens types of ham salad recipe. Check out seven most popular recipes for ham salad
Check out best canned tuna recipes which you can use for variety of occasions and which are rather quick and easy to make. Use canned tuna for main dish, side dish, salad or snack.
What pimples on buttocks mean, how to get rid of them, and how to prevent them.