Best Ever Seven Layered Salad Recipe with Green Peas and Extra Layers - Great for Summer!
7 Layer-Salad Is a Meal-In-One!
I've been making a 7 layer salad for years--some variation of it, anyway. The healthy salad is great as a cool dish in the summer or as a potluck dish for any time of the year. I was having a craving for it just the other day, and I couldn't find my recipe! Sure, I could improvise, but instead I started looking around online through the myriad of recipes for 7 layer salad.
There are generally a few key ingredients to a 7 layer salad, such as lettuce, hard boiled eggs, bacon, green peas, and some kind of mayonnaise mixture. Beyond that, the options vary. Some additional choices are celery, green bell peppers, carrots, and even cauliflower, an ingredient I had never before seen in 7 layer salad. There are a few choices in spices that can be added. The salad can be layered in different orders, too. .
Although I might experiment with different vegetables in the future, I think that I have found a winning combination. After looking through numerous 7 layer salad recipes, I came up with my preferences for my own 9 layer salad--if you count the mayo dressing as a layer but don't count any added spices. The result was delectable, the best "7 Layer Salad" I have ever tasted. Try it! See if you agree.
Some of the IngredientsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ingredients for 7 (or more) Layer Salad
- 3 cups lettuce, iceberg or romaine, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 5 eggs, hard-boiled
- 8 oz. (1/2 package) bacon, cooked and crushed
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar or other, grated
- 10 oz. frozen peas, partially thawed
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream, light
- salt and pepper
- Put 5 eggs in water in pan on stove to boil. Once they start boiling, set timer for 7 minutes. When timer goes off, remove eggs from heat. Run cold water over them, peel, and chop.
- While the eggs are cooking, start the bacon. In my recent recipe, I used turkey bacon and cooked it in the microwave. Pork or turkey bacon can be easily cooked in the microwave. Put the bacon in a microwave-safe dish, and cover with paper towels. I cook it for 2 minutes at a time (usually takes about 6 minutes total) before taking it out of the microwave to check on its progress and make sure bacon does not overcook.
- Chop or tear up lettuce and place in 9 x 13 glass casserole dish or large glass bowl through which you can see the pretty layers.
- Chop up celery and add on top of lettuce. Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Chop hard boiled eggs and add on top. Again, add a light amount of salt and pepper.
- Crush bacon and add on top of eggs.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green onions.
- Grate cheese and add on top of green onions.
- Pour on 10 oz partially frozen peas. I just let the frozen peas set out while I'm preparing this dish. The peas will thaw enough by the time it's time to eat.
- Stir together mayo and sour cream. Mix well. Spread on top of casserole.
- Sprinkle on top your choice of dill weed, Parmesan Cheese, or Paprika. This is totally optional.
- Chill your layered salad in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat it!
What do you think about this recipe?
10 More Layered Salads! Try them all!
- Seven Layered Salad Recipes: 10 Easy Recipes for Summer
This article is about seven layered salad recipes. It contains 10 easy recipes (with photos) that are perfect for summer.
Tips and Observations
I have scanned many recipes for 7 layer salads, combining what I thought to be the best mix right here in this recipe. I've seen some with carrots, but I like to keep it green on the vegetables, except for the tomatoes, which some would consider fruit, anyway.
A tip to remember: Don't skip the sprinkling of salt and pepper step. I had never done this before, but it does seem to enhance the flavor of the entire dish. Also, most recipes call for sugar to be added to the mayonnaise and sour cream mixture. Try that if you like, but I prefer the non-sweet taste. I'd rather taste the tang of the mayo. Using sour cream is another great tip, as it gives the dressing an airier creaminess than does mayonnaise alone. I've also seen recipes that call for Miracle Whip, which would add the sweetness that some prefer.
This dish is great eaten by itself as a light meal or served with something else. I served it recently with some spicy jalapeno black beans, and it was an excellent combination.
Recipe does furnish a nice amount of protein. This was figured with pork bacon. Turkey bacon would provide even fewer calories and fat.
|Serving size: ..75 cup|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 104 mg||35%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Change the order of the ingredients?
More by this Author
What is chocolate gravy? It's a popular Southern dish eaten over biscuits for breakfast. Try my mom's recipe!
5 Easy Pasta Salad Recipes! Italian, Artichoke, Poppy Seed, Vegetable and Tomato Garlic. Delicious and easy to make. Serve cold. Great for summer potlucks! Perfect hot weather dishes!
To be extremely frugal, frugality has to be a lifestyle. Besides frugal and thrifty living, you have to cut things out of your budget and sacrifice. There are also ways to make extra money to add to your budget....