Best Ever Blackberry Pie: with Photo Instructions
Step by step Photo Instructions for Blackberry PieClick thumbnail to view full-size
- 3-4 cups Blackberries, fresh is best, but frozen works well too.
- 2 TB quick mix tapioca
- 1 tea. salt
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 pre-made pie crusts, (or home made)
- 2 TB butter, (optional)
- 2 TB cinnamon sugar
- Put berries in a bowl and mix in the 2 TB tapioca, 1 cup sugar, 1 tea. salt and 1 TB lemon juice. Let set 15 minutes.
- Unroll one pie crust in pie plate. Pour berry mixture into pie crust. Cut up the butter and spread across the top. Unroll the other pie crust on top. Pinch together edges of two pie crusts (use a little water to help them stick together if necessary.)
- Make 4-5 cuts in the crust with a knife. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top. Put the pie plate on a baking sheet as you put it in the 450 degree oven. Put it in the middle of the oven for best results.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 35-40 more minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbling up through the holes in crust. Serve warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.
Best Blackberry Pie Recipe
Brazos blackberries are as big as your thumb and a perfect mixture of sweet and tart. My husband planted them in our Central Texas yard when we first moved here 18 years ago. Unfortunately, these berries also come with very sharp stickers, so we've had to move those blackberry canes around to keep them out of the way of kids. However, every year we manage to get at least two or three pies from our bushes and there isn't a better dessert anywhere.
Even though I love our Brazos berries, I have to admit that I've cheated and used frozen ones and they taste just fine. So if you don't have fresh berries around, then pick up a bag or two from the frozen section and enjoy this wonderful summer treat.
I've tried many recipes over the years until I finally hit on this one which uses tapioca instead of cornstarch or flour to thicken the berries. The tapioca makes the filling just right. You can probably try it with other berries too!
More by this Author
Crunchy, flavored, gourmet popcorn recipe is quick and easy to make. Can make sugar free. Lots of flavor and party ideas! Easy for kids.
Quick and Easy Egg White Cookies made 3 ways with lots of variations. Gluten and Sugar free recipes included.
Want to write a great argument paper, fast? Try one of these easy topics. You'll also find links to research ideas, writing tips, and sample essays.