Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe to Make Ahead and Freeze
Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe
After tasting the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe you'll join the ranks of thousands of our meal assembly kitchen customers that raved about this entrée every month. Two types of cheeses and the surprise of sundried tomatoes and fresh basil update this classic comfort food.
So, why make just one meatloaf? The recipe below allows you to make a meatloaf to have tonight and another to freeze. And, don't pass this recipe by because you are single or have a small family and "don't want to have leftover meatloaf all week." Review the tips to make ahead and freeze small portions or use the leftovers in more tasty entrees!
I once had a customer relay the friendly spat that she and her husband had over the last piece - it's that good!
Buy Cookbooks Online and Save
These are the ingredients for the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe. We suggest doing any preparation (i.e., dicing the onion, shredding the cheese, etc.) first and then proceeding with the assembly instructions.
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
1 cup onion, diced (about 1 medium sized onion)
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons basil leaves (10 -12 leaves) snipped or 2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, sliced
1 cup ketchup plus extra for top
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs or oatmeal
2 pounds ground beef
The instructions for the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe assume that you will be assembling two meatloaf tins. But, you will follow the same instructions if you are going to make smaller portions or meatballs and package differently in step 3.
Yield: Two meatloaf tins. Each meatloaf tin serves 6.
- Add all of the ingredients except the meat to a large bowl and thoroughly combine with a spoon. (Note: by combining everything except the meat first, the ingredients will be more uniformly distributed throughout the meatloaf.)
- Combine ground beef with the mixture. (Tip: use a pair of plastic gloves during this step.)
- Divide the mixture between two loaf pans lightly sprayed with cooking spray. You can also press the mixture into large cupcake tins, smaller loaf pans or make some of the mixture into meatballs.
- Press mixture into pans and smooth top.
- Spread additional ketchup on top, if desired.
- See cooking directions below to enjoy this recipe now.
- Wrap any portions you are going to freeze. Place lids on pans or encase with aluminum foil and then fully encase the covered pans in plastic wrap.
- Label with cooking directions.
Print and Cut Cooking Directions
Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe with Sundried Tomatoes
Instructions: Thaw in refrigerator for approx. 24-36 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for approx. 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 160F.
Serving Suggestions: Creamy mashed potatoes or Mock “cauliflower” potatoes and fresh green beans.
Single Serve Best Ever Meatloaf Cups
Enjoy Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe with Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Tips and Suggestions for Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe
Here are some tips and suggestions that we provided to our customers over the years:
- Make single serve portions in small aluminum containers or large cupcake tins. These will cook a little faster - allow about 30-40 minutes. See picture insert.
- Of course you can leave out the sundried tomatoes!
- Add flax seed, pureed carrots or other ingredients to boost the nutritional value.
- Try adding up to 1/2 cup of pureed carrots to boost the nutritional value--no one will ever know.
- Yes, these make great meatballs. Roll mixture into balls and freeze in a single layer. Once, they are frozen you can move to ziplock bag.
- We use 90/10 ground beef. And, we have used turkey. Pick the ground meat that works best for your family.
- If you use oatmeal, low-fat cheeses and low-sugar ketchup, this should meet the requirements of South Beach Phase 2.
- Uncooked meatloaf freezes really well. Cook and eat the meatloaf in 3-4 months for best results. However, longer storage does not affect food safety, just the quality.
- Cooked meatloaf slices can also be frozen for quick microwave meals.
- Crumble cooked meatloaf in any dish that requires ground beef. Try as a filling for an empanada.
Comments 9 comments
Other Make Ahead Recipes
- Alice Springs Chicken Recipe Made Easy
I love this Alice Springs Chicken Recipe because it has all the appeal of the delicious entrée at Outback and it is simple to prepare. It was a favorite at our meal assembly kitchen!
- Make Ahead Salmon in Bourbon Marinade
Make ahead salmon in a bourbon marinade and enjoy a gourmet dinner and all the health benefits that salmon offers at any time. Salmon is high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe to Make Ahead and Freeze
A creamy mashed potato recipe that you can make ahead and is delicious, even after it has been frozen. A favorite at our store. There are tips and suggestions in this article to make the most of this recipe.
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
This vegan chocolate cake recipe is easy to make and sure to please everyone at the table. It is perfect for anyone that is allergic to eggs.
- Mexican Burritos Made Into Pie
Mexican Burritos Made Into Pie are easy to make and freeze. Easy to convert to a vegetarian burrito recipe. A favorite recipe of our customers.
More by this Author
This Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe has it all: it's delicious, healthy, beautiful and it can be made ahead and frozen. A favorite at our meal assembly store, it is South Beach Phase I compliant and uses boneless,...
A crab cake, that is in fact mostly crab meat and not a bunch of filler, is a delicacy to savor. This recipe uses saltines to complement the delicate crab with just a hint of Old Bay, onion and celery. It is not...
- 5Egg-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free Convenience Products Available in the Grocery Store: A Food Allergy Resource Guide
This product guide is for anyone who is allergic to egg, dairy and soy (and peanut too!) or for the people who love them and never know what to buy at the grocery store. Scroll down to see the table of...