Best Fresh Roasted Corn Recipes
The Chuck Wagon
Members of one branch of my family that came to America in a small wave in the early-to-mid 1800s traveled from New York to Pennsylvania and then proceeded westward, all the way to Colorado, Arizona, and California. They likely used one of two conveyances: stage coaches or covered wagons.
Memories of these travels bring about other memories of TV Westerns, like Rawhide and Wagon Train. On the show, as in real life, the chuck wagon was an important part of any wagon train.
Frankie Lane Sings "Rawhide"
Chuck Wagon Corn
You can find many varieties and versions of Chuck Wagon Corn in regional cookbooks in America. The one I'm sharing here is my long time favorite, but you might like to add something of your own to it.
Cook time above includes roasting the ears of corn and cutting the from the cobs.
Please rate this dish.
- 3 Cups Corn Kernels, roasted
- 3/4 Cup Peas, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 Cup Celery, diced
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, diced
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 or 3 Large Red Chili Peppers, seeded and diced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste.
- Add any other seasonings that you enjoy with these vegetables.
Roasting the Corn
- Into a large dinner plate, place the following spices and stir together:
1 TBSP each of Paprika, Sea Salt or Koasher Salt, and 1 tsp Pepper.
- Pull the husks of each corn cob over one end to reveal kernels.
- Use 1 Stick of Butter to coat each ear of corn.
- Sprinkle each ear of corn with a little Lime Juice.
- Rub corn in the spice mix as evenly as possible.
- Replace husk over the kernels and twist the ends to be secure or cover husk with aluminum foil.
- Grill the ears of corn on an outdoor grill for about 30-40 minutes, turning every 10-15 minutes, until done.
- Remove from grill and carefully unwrap the ears and cut kernels from cobs when cool enough to handle.
Cooking Chuckwagon Corn
- Place all ingredients into a large pot on the stove top over medium high heat.
- Cook nd stir occasionally until vegetables are tender-crisp, taste for seasonings and adjust iof needed, then remove from burner and serve.*
- Serve with your favorite breads or biscuits, butter, and jams or jellies.
- Meat may be added to this dish as well. Cooked shredded pork, chicken, or beef are very good with the vegetables in this dish. As an alternative, tofu cubes are good, either as they are, or fried first. Add any seasonings you like.
Chuck Wagon Corn
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 18 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Around the Chuck Wagon on Rawhide
Chuck Wagon Racing
Chuck Wagon is also written as the single word chuckwagon, so you may see either spelling in historical documents and museum ads.
Chuck Wagon racing is an event often seen in the larger rodeos, especially those held in the provinces of central Canada, the Prairie Provinces of Alberta, Sakatchewan, and Manitoba.
Working out of Calgary, Alberta, the World Professional Chuckwagon Association runs the annual WPCA GMC Pro Tour, the largest chuck wagon race in the world. Additional races are held in the Prairie Provinces, but drivers, horses, and rigs are found in British Columbia as well.
Members of the Canadian Professional Chuckwagon Association sometimes compete in the WPCA sponsored events as well as their own. rodeos and chuckwagon races are favorite in the middle and western provinces, as evidenced by the huge turnout of visitors and event entrants each year at the famous Calvary Stampede.
The origin of the chuckwagon race cold be any of a number of events that occurred during WWI through the early 1920s, so each race day will bring out the oral tradition of origin stories. Most surround informal races between trail drive cooks and such. Today, though, the wagons used in the formal races are much smaller and the teams of horses are composed of four steeds each.
Half Mile of Hell Race
The Prairie Provinces of Canada
Calgary Stampede Chuck Wagon Races and Precision Ride
The rodeo music used in the above video was written by Duane Sharman, who filmed the video.
Below, right, we have a video of San Diego County California's Del Mar National Horse Show and it's Night of the Horse. Drivers and teams are form from Gary Sandstead's show. The entries in the video perform a precision figure 8 around barrels before their fast race in the arena.
Sandstead, of Platteville in Colorado, takes chuck wagon teams and drivers around the United States to introduce the sport of chuck wagon racing to Americans who have never seen it before. In the video, note that one driver loses his rear axle, but his horses run on as if nothing had happened.
Also written by Duane Sharman
Modern Cowboys In America
- American Chuck Wagon Association
The American Chuck Wagon Association exists to preserve the heritage of the chuck wagon. Membership is open to anyone intersted in preserving the history of the chuck wagon.
- Cowboys, Rodeos, and Trail Drive Training
The role of cowboys today is still an important one, including rewarding work for man and women on working ranches and cattle drives.
Roasted Corn Chuckwagon Cakes fior Breakfast
- 3/4 Cup all purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Yellow or White Corn meal
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ! Cup Leftover roasted corn kernels
- 1 Cup Cooked Rice,cooled
- 1 Well beaten Whole Egg
- 1/4 Cup whole Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Place 2-3 TBSP of your favorite cooking oil into a large frying pan and heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Make pancakes of any size you favor, cooking until brown on each side.
- Serfve with butter and hot syrup.
More by this Author
This is a good-tasting soup for winter that will make you feel warm and satisfied with good food. This recipe can be made with other forms of delicious squash as well. Video recipes included.
Here are six recipes, types of recipes, and how to enjoy them all year round. Christmas and inter Holidays will be brighter with these fun and delicious dishes.
Which phrase is correct in proper English grammar–"in person" or "in-person"? Is it an adjective or an adverb? The answer depends on context.