Best Vegetable Soup Recipe
Whether you are a vegetarian or a meat eater, most people love a bowl of vegetable soup. This recipe is my own and uses completely home grown organic vegetables and tastes superb. This is not like the canned vegetable soups that so many of us are used to, it has flavour, richness and best of all you are safe in the knowledge that flavour will be enhanced by the use of home grown vegetables that have never seen a pesticide in their entire growing cycle. Give this a try, preferably using fresh vegetables rather than supermarket ones. I can guarantee you a fantastically tasty end result that may well qualify as the Best Vegetable Soup Ever.
- 2 large courgettes/zucchini
- 5 medium sized carrots
- 2 medium sized onions
- 10 large runner beans
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1 large knob of butter
- 1 large carton of double cream
- salt + pepper
- water to cover
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly.
- Peel the onions, carrots and potatoes.
- Chop up the potatoes and then wash again in cold water to remove the starchy juices released.
- Chop up the carrots and onions.
- Slice the runner beans into 1" pieces.
- Chop the courgettes into chunks.
- Place all the vegetables into a large pan and just cover with water.
- Add the large knob of butter and the seasoning to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and allow to simmer for approximately 30 minutes (or until all the vegetables are cooked through).
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a hand blender or liquidizer blend the soup until smooth.
- Stir in your carton of double cream and warm through without allowing to boil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Serve with crusty French Bread and butter.
See, it really is incredibly simple to make and truly delicious once completed. Feel free to adapt the ingredients where you feel you might prefer a different vegetable. If you have concerns that this is not very healthy with all that cream and butter in, change the double cream for a cream substitute such as 'Elmlea' and use a buttermilk type spread instead of actual butter, e.g. 'I Can't Believe it's Not Butter' or 'Olivio'.
Remember that a 'Little of What You Fancy Does you Good' and 'Everything in Moderation' are both very good expressions. Even if the calories are high in this recipe, you can always make up for it by having a far healthier main course which should balance things out a little.
More by this Author
Growing your own Ginger Beer Plant and then making your own alcoholic Ginger Beer is easier than you might think. This article explains in detail how to go about it and what results you can expect to achieve....
This is my own savoury sausage roll recipe, and it always gets compliments due to it's great savoury flavour. The size of the rolls or parcels can be varied, so party size options can easily be an alternative, just...
In this article I hope to list most of the more common houseplants that are dangerous to cats so that you can either ensure you don't bring them into your home or at least you can keep them out of the reach of your...