Light Italian Dessert Recipes: Easy And Delicious Homemade Biscuit Tortoni
Biscuit Tortoni Defined
What is biscuit tortoni? It is basically an ice cream made with eggs and usually heavy cream - sometimes combined with ground/chopped almonds or crumbled macaroons or even chopped cherries. However, this recipe is made without the eggs, so no worries regarding cholesterol.
It is said to have been created by an Italian cafe owner in Paris in the 18th century.
Biscuit tortoni makes a wonderful dessert that can be prepared ahead and tops off perfectly an Italian meal but really any meal where you want something a little lighter for a dessert.
If you want to serve this dessert truly Italian style you can purchase decorative paper cups - usually in a gourmet kitchen store or an Italian grocery. In a pinch, you can use decorative muffin cup liners - put the batter into the muffin cup liners in the muffin pans and freeze.
I have made it with store-bought macaroons and I have made my own macaroons for this recipe. It is a wonderful dessert and have never had any complaints (or leftovers) when I serve it!
Tortoni Recipe - 12 Servings
- 1-1/2 cups chilled whipping cream (use low-fat or reduced fat if you like)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond macaroon (or vanilla wafer crumbs - 24 cookies)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped (if desired)
- 2 tablespoons rum or dry sherry (or substitute flavoring)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat whipping cream and sugar in chilled bowl until stiff.
- Reserve 1/4 cup macaroon crumbs.
- Fold remaining ingredients into whipped cream.
- Divide among 12 small dessert dishes or paper-lined medium muffin cups 2-1/2 x 1-1/4 inches (or pour into 1 dessert bowl).
- Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs
- Freeze until firm – about 4 hours.
NOTE: There are many different variations I have tried to this recipe. I originally found this recipe in my Betty Crocker International Cookbook from the 1970s.
- You can use different crackers for the crumb portion - i.e. chocolate wafer cookies, which gives a different taste
- You can substitute homemade macaroons or another flavorful, crumbly cookie for the crumbs
- You can omit the maraschino cherries
- You can use almond extract rather than vanilla extract for a totally different flavor
- You can also add ground chocolate chips/bits/white chocolate bits again for a completely different presentation and taste
- The almond macaroon recipe below is without the standard coconut which gives the tortoni a unique flavor as well but macaroons of any kind are great to use as the crumb portion
Other Biscuit Tortoni Recipes
Another Light Dessert Idea
Almond Macaroon Recipe
If you are making the almond macaroon cookie recipe for the biscuit tortoni, you can eliminate topping the cookies with the whole almonds and dusting with powdered sugar. Simply bake, let cool and then use the cookies for the crumb portion of the tortoni recipe.
- 1 cup whole almonds (blanched)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- About 16 whole almonds (optional)
- Cooking spray and/or parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray or use parchment paper to line.
- Use food processor to grind/chop 1 cup almonds with the sugar until ground fine.
- Add the egg white, almond extract, and a pinch salt to this mixture and pulse until the mixture is combined.
- Roll the mixture into 16 balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Arrange about 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Slightly flatten the balls and dust lightly with confectioners' sugar.
- Gently press 1 whole almond into each of the cookies.
- Bake macaroons on middle rack of oven 10 minutes. They should be pale golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to a rack and cool completely.
- These should keep about 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I generally make the cookies a few days before and then make into crumbs in the food processor right before making the tortoni.
Makes about 16 cookies
Here on Amazon
More by this Author
Bread pudding with whiskey sauce recipe. Quick and easy bread pudding recipe.
Learn how to make mini cheesecakes of several different varieties in a step by step method. These are easy to make and so delicious.
Want a hot stone massage but can't afford one? Here are some great tips and tricks on how to give yourself or each other great hot stone massages.