Bitter gourd, Carrot, Mushroom Chicken Soup Recipe - the Wonder Soup for health !
Bitter gourd (or bitter melon), Carrot, Mushroom Chicken Soup is one of my favourite home-cooked soups. Chinese believes that this soup is excellent to remove the body heat or cooling down the body. And with its bitter sweet mushroom taste, it’s simply delicious on a hot summer day or a cold winter day. Here is the recipe :
Bitter gourd, Carrot, Mushroom Chicken Soup
50g Dried Mushroom
100g bitter gourd
10g fresh ginger
1 tsp of salt
Pinch of black pepper powder
1. Soak the dried mushroom in hot water for 15 minutes to soften it. Rinse it thoroughly again with cold water.
2. Cut the bitter gourd into half and remove the internal seeds. Then, cut the bitter gourd into square shape. Rub the cut bitter gourd with plenty of salt and leave it for about half an hour and then rinse the salt off. This will reduce bitterness of the bitter gourd.
3. Clean the chicken, remove the skin, and cut it into small pieces.
4. Peel the carrot skin and cut it into square pieces.
5. Peel the ginger skin and cut it into slices.
6. Boil about 3 cups of water in a pot.
7. Add in chicken and bitter gourd and boil at medium fire for 5 minutes.
8. Pour the chicken and bitter gourd soup into a slow cooker.
9. Add in mushroom, carrot and ginger.
10. Simmer the soup for 1.5 hour.
11. Add in salt and pepper for taste.
And it is ready for serving.
Bitter Gourd – the wonder vegetable that cures !
Bitter gourd is a type of common vegetable available in Asian and African countries. It is also known as ‘Bitter melon’ or ‘Karela’ with green rough, warty skin. As the name suggests, the vegetable is bitter in taste. Well-known as having great medicinal value in native medicines in Asia and Africa, it has been used as appetizing, stomachic, laxative properties, anti-bilious, antidote and antipyretic tonic.
Nutrition Benefits of Eating Bitter Gourd
- · Aids in lowering sugar levels in people suffering from diabetes.
- · Aids in cancer fighting Bitter gourd
- · Aids in constipation relief
- · Believe to be effective in the treatment of psoriasis.
- · Aids in blood circulation and blood purifier
- · Effects in body slimming.
- · Prevention and treatment of hypertension.
- · Eye complications prevention
- · Treating neuritis.
- · Treating defective metabolism of carbohydrates.
Nutritional Value of Bitter Gourd
100 grams of bitter gourd comprises of the following nutrients:
- · Calcium - 19 mg
- · Copper - 0.034 mg
- · Dietary Fiber - 3 g
- · Dietary Folate Equivalents - 72 mcg
- · Folate - 72 mcg
- · Food Folate - 5.6 mcg
- · Iron - 0.43 mg
- · Magnesium - 17 mg
- · Manganese - 0.089 mg
- · Pantothenic Acid - 0.212 mcg
- · Phosphorus - 31 mg
- · Potassium - 296 mg
- · Protein - 1 g
- · Selenium - 0.2 mcg
- · Sodium - 5 mg
- · Sodium - 5 mg
- · Total Carbohydrates - 4 g
- · Zinc - 0.8 mg
- · Vitamin A
- · Vitamin C
- · Calcium
- · Total Fat - 0g
- · Saturated Fat - 0g
- · Cholesterol - 0 mg
- · Folic Acid - 0 mcg
- · Sugars - 0 g
Other Recipes from me
- Scrumptious Vegetarian Mapo Tofu Recipe easy, he...
Here is my version of scrumptious Mapo tofu recipe which is meat-free and literally oil-free! It is so tasty that my family has graded it as one of my signature dishes. Mapo Tofu, a popular Chinese dish...
- Chinese Mung Bean (Green Bean) Soup Recipe - Superfo...
Mung beans or green peas is best known to be used for treatment of poisoning of various types, including foods (e.g., mushroom) and herbal drugs (e.g., aconite). In modern times, with pollution becoming an issue, mung bean has extended its use to tre
- Quick and Savoury Crab and Corn Soup Recipe You Will...
If you have some crab meat in the refrigerator and wonder how you can make soup out of it, consider this quick, easy and savoury crab and corn chowder or soup recipe. You will love it. Ingredients 1 can of creamed corn 3/4 pot of chicken broth ...
- Savoury and Healthy Ginseng Soup Recipe - Microwave ...
Ginseng is considered the king of herbs in traditional Chinese medicine. It has been widely used by Chinese as an energy booster. Making Chinese ginseng soup is an easy and tasty way to consume ginseng and it is beneficial in tonifying the lungs and.
Other Savoury and Healthy Soup Recipes
Heath Benefits of Bitter Melon (Bitter Gourd)
- Health Benefits of Bitter Melon Juice
Bitter melon juice is famous all over the world for lowering blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. Also, leaf extracts of bitter melon plants contain broad-spectrum antibacterial properties. Bitter melon...
- Bitter Gourd - Health Benefits and Recipes
The scientific name of Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon is Momordica Charantia. It is a tropical vine and the fruits, leaves and extracts of this plant are used as medicine. Bitter gourd has several essential vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, Vi
SHARE it !
Share this page - did you know you can share this page by clicking on the "Share it" button below? This will enable you to -
Email it to friends, Link to this page, Tweet this, Blog this or, send this to your Facebook, Myspace, Digg, StumbleUpon or Reddit!
If you like what you have read, please "Vote up" by clicking the green button below or leave some comment. Thank you.
The text and all images on this page, unless otherwise indicated, are owned by Ingenira who hereby asserts her copyright on the material. Permission must be granted by the author in writing prior to copy or republish this article in print or online. However, please feel free to copy the first paragraph with a link back to this page. Thank you.
More by this Author
This sugar-free healthy cake makes you feel fuller longer and prevents overeating, and it is gluten-free !I like to make this cake for parties and gatherings, and friends often asked me for the recipe.
Fish Head Curry is a popular dish among Malaysians and Singaporeans. This South Indian dish was originally modified by a Singaporean chef to cater to the local customers’ taste. Chinese customers considered the...
If your feel that your hair is dropping in handfuls and you feel that you are starting to look more like your balding uncle than curly-haired beauty or hunk, then read on and do something about it! First of all, calm...