Black Bean Soup - Easy Recipe
Easy Black Bean Soup
Black beans have become my most favorite type of bean. I love them alone, with rice, and especially in soup! It's not just that they taste so good, but they are also really good for you. Black beans are a great source of fiber, they're low fat and are good for your digestive tract :) I love to eat foods that taste great and are good for me!!
I am going to share with you a very basic and easy black bean soup recipe. I use this to make a pot of soup on Sunday to take to the office for my lunch the following week. It keeps well in the refrigerator and just gets better by the day (though I would not recommend keeping it longer than one week). The great thing about this recipe is that you can "mix it up" each time you make it. I will give you some easy variations to use as you desire.
Easy Peasy Black Bean Soup
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cans broth (chicken, beef, vegetable)
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Cup *Salsa (leftover from Mexican restaurant works well)
- 1 Cup cooked chicken diced
- Lime juice
Add everything except lime juice and cilantro to a pot. Bring to boil, and turn down heat to simmer and cook about 10-15 minutes (until carrots are nice and tender). When ready to serve, top with chopped cilantro and squeeze on some lime juice to taste. This is also good topped with some shredded cheese and/or sour cream.
*If you do not have salsa, simply add 1 small can diced tomatoes, chopped onion and a bit of minced cilantro.
- Add some wine (white or red), or sherry for a portion of the broth. Skip the salsa and chicken. Using immersion blender, blend the soup to a smooth consistency. If the consistency is too think, simply add more beans. You are looking for a nice velvety soup. Serve will a dollop of cream cheese.
- I have added shredded cabbage to this soup and it's delicious.
Health Benefits of Black Beans
- WHFoods: Black beans
Non-profit foundation providing reliable, scientifically accurate, personalized information for convenient and enjoyable healthy eating.