Black Bean Soup in the Slow Cooker
Ironically, when it comes to bean recipes, I am extremely partial to most black bean soups! The flavor of black beans is unique, and requires certain amounts of flavoring for it to be truly enjoyable! This recipe is one such recipe, as it combines a combination of flavors to create a truly unique flavor! It is extremely similar to the recipes many utilize to re-create the TGI Friday's Black Bean Soup.
When I prepare this, I spend the entire day excited about the moment I will finally have the opportunity to delve into at dinner time! Not only that, but even the people in my life who have been extremely picky about food end up enjoying it! There is definitely something fulfilling and satisfying about this simple meal.
Not only can this be a great meal by itself, but can also discover its place as a side dish, and the leftover are still just as flavorful! I will admit, I have discovered several different recipes for black bean soup, unfortunately, most included some for of pork in the ingredients, and thus, many times it takes more adaptation to create the meal that still has the flavor and beauty of black beans, but does demonstrate the lack of pork in the meal. Still, this recipe is one that accomplishes these goals, and has quickly been my turn to recipe for black beans.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 c. white onion, finely diced
- 3/4 c. celery, finely diced
- 1/2 c. carrots, diced
- 1/3 c. green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 4 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. hickory liquid smoke
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic to the oil and saute until the onions are transulcent, but do not brown.
- Measure 3 cups of the beans into a food processor with 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Puree on high speed until smooth.
- Add the pureed beans and remaining whole beans to the cooked vegetables.
- Add all ingredients to crock pot, cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
- Serve the soup topped with 2-3 tablespoons of cheese blend and a teaspoon of chopped green onion, on top of white rice.
An excellent approach to this dish is to include a bed of rice underneath the black beans, and perhaps some mexican cornbread or biscuits. I also have found that creating a gelatin composition with fresh fruits included is an amazing compliment for this meal!
More by this Author
Savory herbs and a few veggies are sure to make this a quick all around meal that needs not additions! It has wonderful texture and flavor that will leave your family asking for more!
On a cold winter day, or when someone in the family is feeling under the weather, this is perhaps one of the greatest solutions for a great meal!
Finding an amazing lamb ribs recipe was difficult, but am absolutely in love with this one! It is amazing! Probably would work with other rib recipes, but since we have lamb, this is my choice!