Breakfast And Fruit
Breakfasts and lunches came in for careful scrutiny, with the accent on speedily-prepared dishes for schooldays and some special treats for weekends. Suppers are more substantial, but also take into account the pit-stop factor: some dishes can be made in minutes while others can safely be put on hold for latecomers.
300mL/l ofl oz semi-skimmed milk
300mL. l ofl oz water
110g/3 1/2 oz rolled oats
pinch salt, optional
1-2 bananas, mashed
1. Combine milk and water in a heavy-based saucepan.
Stir in oats and salt if using.
2. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then simmer, stirring
from time to time, for 6-8 minutes or until the porridge thickens.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the mashed banana.
Serve with hot milk or yogurt and honey.
1 1/2 cups/ 230g/7 1/2 oz whole meal
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup/30g/1oz bran cereal, toasted
1/3 cup/60g/2oz brown sugar
2green apples, grated
2eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup'45g/1 1/2oz low-fat natural yoghurt
1 tablespoon polyunsaturated vegetable oil
1. Sift together flour, nutmeg and baking powder into a bowl.
Add bran cereal and sugar and mix to combine
2. Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Add apples, eggs,
yoghurt and oil and mix until just combined.
3. Spoon mixture into twelve greased 1/4 cup/ 125ml /4fl oz
muffin tins and bake in a 200' C/400'F/ Gas 6 oven for 15
minutes or until muffins are cooked when tested with a
l medium ripe banana
l 1/2 cups/360g/12oz natural yoghurt
honey to taste
nutmeg or cinnamon
Place all ingredients except nutmeg or cinnamon into a
blender and blend until fluffy.
2. Pour into glass and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon.
Note: Orange juice can be substituted for the yoghurt
for a refreshing change.
1/2 cup/60mL/2fl oz milk.
l teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 slices whole meal bread
fruit for serving
1. Place egg, milk, sugar and vanilla into a flat dish, whisk with
2. Place bread into egg mixture and leave 1-2 minutes.
3. Heat non-stick frying pan, place the bread into the pan
and allow to brown before turning to brown other side
Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with fresh fruit.
More by this Author
The Strange Uncle There was once a tailor called Mustapha. Every day, he worked very hard. He worked from morning to night, but he was always very poor. His son, Aladdin, was a lazy boy and did...
The Magic Cave Once, a long time ago, there were two brother. Kassim was rich and greedy. His brother Ali Baba, was a kind man. He worked very hard, but he was poor, Every day Ali Baba went...
The Elements of Culture The study of culture has led to generalizations that may apply to all cultures. These include elements such as bodily adornments, courtship rituals, etiquette, concept of family, gestures,...