There are so many options to items that you can add when it comes to making this Frittata. It can be made dietary and diabetic friendly as well if you add items that have been chosen for your specific dietary meal plan. The difference between this meal and the Quiche is that a Quiche is often made with a custard base of heavy cream or half and half and this is not rendering this particular dish a little more healthy. You can add items you want or substitute others. Shrimp, turkey sausage or even chicken can be a flavorful choice instead of the Pork sausage I used. You can reduce fat by omitting the cheese and using more egg whites then whole eggs or possibly even use egg beaters. Other things that can be added could be green onions, black olives, or diced tomatoes. Use your taste buds and creativity for what you like to make this dish not only yours but also enjoyable for you and your family.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Vigin
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Ground Pork sausage, Hot or Mild (I used hot)
- 13 Oz can or 3 cups fresh Spinich, Drained very well if using canned
- 1 Small fresh Jalapino, deseeded and very finely diced
- 1 Medium size full lenth Carrot, skinned and very finely diced
- 1 Stalk Celery, very finely diced
- 1/4 Cup Onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Bell Pepper, red, yellow, green or orange or a blend coarsely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/4 Cup Milk, whole milk or skim for reduced fat content
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Cayanne Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Basil
- 1/2 Cup Chedder, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven safe 13 inch skillet add olive oil and heat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, spinach, jalapino, carrot, celery,onion, peppers, mushrooms and pork sausage cook until all liquid has evaporated and sausage is cooked.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together eggs, eggs whites,milk, black pepper, cayanne, and basil.
- When vegetables are cooked simply add the egg mixture and level out so items are evenly distributed. Place in oven for 25 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove from oven lightly top with cheese and cut in to 8 slices and serve hot.