Breakfast Recipes: Apple Blintzes
Blintzes can be filled with just about anything and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or brunch.
If they are filled with vegetables, meat, or seafood they can be eaten as an appetizer to a dinner meal.
If they are filled with fruit, farmer cheese, cottage cheese, or feta cheese they can be eaten as dessert alongside a steaming cup of tea or coffee, or a fruit kompot.
If you are not sure about what to eat for breakfast or are simply craving for something different and delicious try apple blintzes. This breakfast recipe is easy to make and not time consuming at all. Best of all it is delicious and good for you too.
To fill yourself up you need at least two blintzes, so five blintzes will be enough for only about two people. If you have a larger crowd to feed, you will need more blintzes of course and therefore more apples as one apple won't be enough to fill all the blintzes. I usually buy about a pound worth of blintzes, which equates to about 15-20 blintzes or so. And I use at least two big apples, sometimes three.
- 1 Large Apple - Crispin, Gala, etc.
- 5 Blintzes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
- Cooking Oil
- Wash and peel a large apple. Then shred the apple either using a manual shredder or a food processor.
- Take all the shredded apple and squeeze out the juice from it completely. Make sure the shredded apple is dry before proceeding further.
- Add about a half a teaspoon of sugar to the shredded apple and sprinkle a desired amount of cinnamon and mix well.
- Layout a blintz on a large flat plate or on a large cutting board. Place about a tablespoon of the shredded apple onto the bottom end of the blintz, in the middle. Make sure the shredded apple is laid out so that it's long horizontally. Then start rolling the blintz. When you are about halfway done fold the sides inward and then continue rolling the blintz until you can't roll it anymore.
- Pour some cooking oil into a skillet or frying pan over low-medium heat. When the skillet is heated place the blintzes onto it and cook until the bottom of the blintzes is golden brown. Then turn the blintzes over and cook the other side until it is golden brown. You may also want to turn each blintz on its side and cook there till golden brown as well but you don't have to.
- When the apple blintzes are done cooking lay them out on the plate and drizzle with your favorite honey. If your honey is thick you can place it into the microwave for about ten seconds so that it melts.
Adding Farmer Cheese to the Apple Blintzes
When making apple blintzes you can also add some farmer cheese to the apple filling. This will bring some variety to the dish and will not hinder the taste. If anything the apple blintzes will taste even better with the farmer cheese inside. I have recently started doing it and I have to say that I can't get enough of these apple/farmer cheese blintzes.
You can replace farmer cheese with cottage cheese if you'd like but cottage cheese is not as thick so it may be harder to flip the blintzes without them falling apart. So, I think farmer cheese is the better option.
Sour cream goes great with blintzes even if they are already drizzled with honey so feel free to add sour cream to the blintzes before eating. You can either add sour cream on top of the honey or first mix the honey with the sour cream before putting it on top of the blintzes. The choice is yours. No matter which way you do it though, you will surely love it.
Another Way to Make Apple Blintzes
Another way to make apple blintzes is to shred the apples, leave them in their juice and cook them with melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon before adding them to the blintzes, rolling the blintzes and frying them.
- First, wash, peel and shred the apples in a food processor and remove them into a bowl along with the juice.
- Then add the sugar and the cinnamon as in the original recipe and mix.
- Next, melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, drop the shredded apples along with their juice into the skillet and cook for about five minutes or so, turning over with a spatula from time to time.
- After you turn off the heat you have to drain the liquid from the apples as much as possible so they won't rip the blintzes when you roll them or make them fall apart. To do this you need a mesh strainer. Simply take a mesh strainer and place it on top of a small bowl, a measuring cup, or a cup you use for tea. Then place a small amount of the cooked apples into the mesh strainer and holding the strainer with one hand, so it doesn't tip over, turn the apples over and over in a circular motion using a wooden spatula.. You can even press on the apples with the bottom of the spatula too but be careful not to damage the strainer. Doing this procedure will get most of the liquid out of the shredded apples. Once you see that most of the liquid is gone move the apples to another bowl and start over with a new batch from the skillet. Keep doing it until all the apples are gone from the skillet. If there is any liquid (melted butter and juice from the apples) left in the skillet pour it into the bowl that already has the melted butter/apple juice liquid in it.
- Now that you are finished with the apple filling you can proceed to place it onto the blintzes and then carefully roll them so they don't rip or fall apart. When done heat a skillet with either butter or cooking oil and when hot place the blintzes inside and cook for a few minutes on each side. Then pour some of the melter butter/apple juice from the bowl onto the blintzes in the skillet, shake the skillet, and turn off the heat. Remove onto a plate and enjoy.
More by this Author
Farmer cheese (cottage cheese) blintzes make for a delicious and filling breakfast dish... This breakfast recipe is easy to make. Learn about it in this hub...
A delicious breakfast recipe - scrambled omelet with crepes, salami, avocado, cheese, and dried cranberries. It is easy to make and doesn't require long preparation or cooking.
Here is a list of useful Microsoft Word shortcuts that will save you valuable time and are easy to use. Save this list for future reference. It will come in handy.