Breakfast Recipes: Farmer Cheese (Cottage Cheese) Blintzes with Sour Cream
Since I was born in Belarus, which used to be a part of the Soviet Union, farmer cheese blintzes or blinchiki are a favorite breakfast dish in my house. It has been that way for generations.
Farmer cheese blintzes can be made and eaten in different ways. I love mine with sugar and cinnamon inside and sour cream and honey on top. They are delicious and go great with a hot cup of tea, a warm cup of milk, or chilled cup of kompot (clear juice made from cooking fruit in a pot with a large amount of water).
It is easy to make this breakfast recipe and you don't need a lot of ingredients either. Once you give this recipe a try you will make it again and again for yourself and your family, maybe even for your guests.
- 2 lbs. (about 20 pieces) Blintzes/Crepes
- 1 lb. Farmer Cheese or Cottage Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Cooking oil
- Sour Cream
- Remove the farmer cheese from the packaging and place into a bowl. I prefer to use Lifeway (Bazarny) Premium White Cheese but you can use any farmer cheese. Add one tablespoon of sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon. Mix well using a spoon or a masher. You may place everything into a food processor for easier mixing. You can substitute farmer cheese with cottage cheese but cottage cheese is not as thick and may make it hard to flip over the blintzes when cooking and may result in the blintzes falling apart. So, farmer cheese is the better option.
- Take one blintz and place onto a large plate or large cutting board. I usually buy them in a Russian store. If you don't have a Russian store near you then go to your local supermarket and look for blintzes there. Most likely you will find crepes instead of blintzes. Those will do as well as they are similar. Note that whether you use blintzes or crepes they have to be thin or you won't be able to roll them.
- Take a tablespoon of farmer cheese and roll it into a sausage like shape. Place on the edge of the blintz in the middle of the edge. Roll the blintz about half way. Then fold the sides of the blintz on top and continue rolling the blintz until you can't roll anymore.
- Pour cooking oil into a skillet and place over medium-low heat. Once the skillet is hot place the blintzes on it and let cook on both sides until they are golden brown. Do not leave the blintzes cooking for too long or leave the kitchen while they are cooking. If you do so they will burn.
- Once the blintzes are done cooking remove them from the skillet onto a plate. Serve them with a few teaspoons of sour cream on the side. You can even add some honey or your favorite jams/preserves too.
- When making the farmer cheese blintzes you can add dried berries to the filling - dried blueberries, dried strawberries, dried cherries or dried currants. These dried berries go well with the farmer cheese and make them even yummier.
- You can easily eat two farmer cheese blintzes at once. You may even have a few more if you are very hungry. If each person eats only two blintzes then this recipe will make about ten servings.
- If you find that you have left over blintzes don't worry. You can always eat them without any filling just with sour cream on top. Just make sure to heat them before eating. You can heat them in a microwave for about 30 seconds or you can heat them in a skillet with melted butter.
There are many fillings for blintzes (blinchiki). You can make them with just fresh fruit, with ground meat, with crab meat or other seafood, with vegetables, with mushrooms. Basically, whatever you can think of can go into a blintz (blinchik). It will taste delicious no matter what you put inside it.
I hope you enjoy my farmer cheese blintzes recipe. For some variety try adding shredded apple to the filling. You will love the combination.
Which blintzes are your favorite?See results without voting
© 2012 Lena Kovadlo
More by this Author
With many varieties of omelet recipes you can make there is always something different to try. Here's a healthy and delicious omelet recipe - Omelet with Bok Choy in Teriyaki Sauce. Enjoy!
A delicious breakfast recipe - scrambled omelet with crepes, salami, avocado, cheese, and dried cranberries. It is easy to make and doesn't require long preparation or cooking.
Here is a list of useful Microsoft Word shortcuts that will save you valuable time and are easy to use. Save this list for future reference. It will come in handy.