Breakfast Burrito Recipe
Breakfast burritos are a classic of Southwestern American cuisine. They were developed in New Mexico and quickly gained in popularity across the country. What's not to like about all of the delicious flavors of breakfast wrapped up together in one tortilla? This is a delicious vegetarian twist on the traditional breakfast burrito, combining eggs, home-style potatoes, cheese, and several fresh toppings for a hearty, filling breakfast.
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
makes one burrito
- olive oil
- 1 small potato
- 1/4 large sweet onion
- 3 large cloves garlic
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/4 green bell pepper
- 1 flour tortilla
- 1/4 cup mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
- sour cream
- small tomatoes, diced in large chunks
- loose leaf lettuce
1. Wash the vegetables and peel the onion. Slice the onion into thin strips. Crush garlic cloves and dice. Leave the skins on the potato and dice it into 1/2 inch cubes.
2. Heat a skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat (medium for a gas range), with a good coating of olive oil. Combine the diced potato, sliced onion, and crushed garlic in the pan and stir frequently. Season with salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
3. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and season lightly with salt and black pepper. Cut the bell peppers into long, thin strips.
4. The potatoes are done when they are soft in the center. Turn the heat down to medium. Pour the beaten eggs over the potatoes and stir rapidly, scrambling. They should start to thicken quickly. Push the potatoes and eggs over to one side of the pan (continuing to scramble), and add the green and red bell peppers to the other half, letting them cook lightly.
5. Warm the flour tortilla.
6. When the eggs are done, remove from heat. Scoop the potatoes and eggs into the flour tortilla, and lay the bell pepper strips over top. Sprinkle lightly with grated cheese. Top with salsa, sour cream, diced tomatoes, and loose leaf lettuce.
7. Wrap the flour tortilla around the contents, tucking in one end, and serve. Enjoy!
Green onions are a nice addition to a breakfast burrito. If you'd like to get really fancy, try adding fresh herbs like basil, thyme, chives, and oregano to the scrambled eggs. Adding cream cheese to the eggs while they are cooking will make them very smooth and creamy. If you would rather have cooked greens than fresh ones, try adding a little baby spinach to the pan to be steamed just before the eggs are done. Garnish with parsley if desired.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE246
Cooked incorrectly, tofu can turn out slimy and flavorless. My special method uses dry-frying and marinating, resulting in firm, flavorful tofu that leaves even meat-eaters impressed.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE23
There are many techniques that can emphasize certain delicious qualities in an omelette. In this article, I will give you a basic recipe for an incredible omelette as well as tips to improve and change the taste and...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE10
Here you can learn what each of the potential bath salt ingredients are and how to decide which to use for the sort of bath salts you wish to make. With familiarity with the properties of all of the ingredients, you...