Broccoli Slaw with Balsamic Mayonnaise and Nuts
Healthy Cruciferous Vegetables - Great for Slaw!
Please Rate this Recipe
Broccoli and Broccoflower
A broccoli based coleslaw is a fun change from regular cabbage based versions, although those are always good in well made recipes. Broccoli in your slaw provides a green vegetable, a cruciferous vegetable that is a cancer fighter, a mild flavor, and a crunchy texture, especially in a matchstick cut.
For a slightly different flavor and texture, try a broccoflower, which is a hybrid of a broccoli and a cauliflower and also a cruciferous vegetable. For this recipe, you can purchase a head of the vegetable and cut the florets of either the broccoli or the broccoflower into smaller pieces, if you prefer that shape and texture for your slaw over the pre-cut matchsticks.
Broccoli slaw mix comes pre-cut in plastic packages at the market under these brand names: Green Giant, Dole, Mann's, Wegman's, Eat Smart, Marketside, Trader Joe's, Taylor, River Ranch, Fresh Selections, and possibly some others in your part of the country.
BroccoflowerClick thumbnail to view full-size
Pre-packaged Broccoli Slaw looks like this:
- 2 Cups Broccoli Slaw Mix, (Matchstick cut of broccoli, carrots, and some red cabbage)
- 1 Cup Zucchini Matchsticks, (Matchstick cut is easy to do at home on one small zucchini.)
- 1/4 Cup Homemade Relish, See recipe below
- 1 Cup Balsamic Mayonnaise, (or to taste)
- 1/2 Cup Lightly salted peanuts, walnuts, or pecans
Recipe for Homemade Relish
This is one good way for me to use the remainder of vegetables in my refrigerator.
- 1/2 Cup white vinegar and 1/2 Cup water
- Garlic salt, black pepper, and white pepper, to your own taste.
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup each of coarsely chopped red onion, chopped white onion, chopped peeled and seeded cucumber, and chopped zucchini (skin left on).
- I take a pickle jar or similar and place the chopped vegetables into it. Next, add the vinegar, water, and seasonings. Close the jar with its lid tightly closed. Shake the bottle a few times and place it in a refrigerator.
- It's ready to go in a few hours, or you can leave it sit overnight to meld flavors.
Hellmann's Creamy Balsamic Mayonnaise Dressing
Only 50 calories per Tablespoon and 6 grams of fat.
Instructions for the Slaw
- Trim ends from one small zucchini and cut into matchsticks. Mix the broccoli slaw cuts and the zucchini cuts in a large bowl.
- Add homemade relish and mix well.
- Add the balsamic mayonnaise and mix to blend.
- Sprinkle nuts over the top of the slaw and refrigerate one hour.
Ingredients from the bottle:
Water, Soybean Oil, Balsamic Vinegar (Wine Vinegar, Grape Must), Whole Eggs, Egg Yolks, Modified Food Starch (Corn, Potato), Sugar, Salt, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sorbic Acid and Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used To Protect Quality).
I recently discovered this ingredient when our local market placed it on discounted sale one week.
Balsamic Mayonnaise surprisingly is made with no balsam at all. It does contain balsamic vinegar, which is made from a particular type of grape, the Trebbiano. However, this grape is common and one of the top grapes planted in the world.
Legend has it that the vinegar picked up the name "balsamic", because the Latin and Greek root word of "balsam" indicates healing properties; vinegar of various sorts has been used for healing purposes in many parts of the world.
With the flavors of the balsamic mayonnaise in the slaw recipe above, I am tempted to try the addition of raisins to the dish, probably golden raisins, since the Trebbiano grape is a white grape.
Some Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Best Salads In History
Salads have been around since the times of the ancient Greeks and Romans, but they may have made their debut when the ancient Chinese first put soy sauce on some bok choy and Chinese Cabbage 6,000 years or longer into the past. Evidence has been...
- Recipes For Vegetables and Nuts
Here is a completely different dish from the standard green bean casserole, along with a delicious snack.
- The Wonderful World of (Dr.) Oz: How To Fight Free Radicals with Food
The color orange in fruits and vegetables indicates the presence of nutrients that can help prevent and lessen the impact of cancers in the human body. Information and recipes here.
More by this Author
Anthony Bourdain has hosted a series of gourmet travel shows on a variety of cable networks. He has eaten unusual foods around the world and with more style than some host that just eat gross things with a smug...
What would pizza be like if it were served over pasta in a bowl? This recipe is a tribute to such a dish that existed for only a short time long ago in a pizza restaurant of the 1970s.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...