Bubur Cha Cha Recipe | Sweet Potato And Yam Soup Dessert Recipe
Bubur Cha-Cha is a well-loved Nyonya desserts found in Southeast Asia, so much so that they are commonly found in Hong Kong or Cantonese-style cafes all over the world.
A colourful and sweet dessert, bubur chacha is a medley of sweet potatoes (in yellow, orange, and purple color), yam (taro) cooked in a sweet coconut milk base. I have always been a sweet potato lover, however, the chewy and stretchy texture of sago or tapioca pearl jelly is the best part of it all.
Besides simple starches, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta carotene (vitamin A), vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Pink, yellow and green varieties are high in carotene, the precursor of vitamin A.
In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, the nutritional value of sweet potatoes were compared to other vegetables. Considering fibre content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. Based on these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over more than the common potato.
Here is the yummy dessert recipe :
150g Purple Sweet Potato
150g Orange Sweet Potato
150g Yellow Sweet Potato
1 whole (120 g) yam (or taro)
1 ½ Tbsp big Sago pearls
1 Tin (400 ml) coconut milk
150 ml water
2 pandan leaves (or screwpine leaves) - optional
1 tube of Gula Melaka or
3 Tbsp sugar or more to taste
1. Soak the sago pearl for an hour.
2. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and yam. Rinse the Sago Pearls.
3. Steam the sweet potato and yam on a high heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked. When it is cooked, you can use the fork to poke the potato and yam easily.
4. In a medium saucepan, boil the water, add in pandan leaves. Then add Sago pearls and cook for about 5 minutes, until it becomes transparent. If you use the small Sago pearls, normally 5 minutes is sufficient. If you use the big Sago pearl, you may need to boil it for 15 minutes or longer. The big Sago pearl will not turn 100% transparent, there will be a small white dot in the middle.
5. Add in coconut milk. When boiling, mix in the sweet potato and yam and continue to simmer for 1 minute.
6. Taste for sweetness, add sugar if necessary.
7. If you like it hot, serve immediately. If you like it cold, let it cool down in the room before cooling it in the fridge.
Other Recipes From Me
- Nyonya Kuih Dadar or Nyonya Coconut Crpes Recipe
Nyonya Coconut Crpes or Kuih Dadar Here is one of my favourite Malaysian desserts - the Nyonya version of the Malay favourite Kuih Dadar, a type of dessert Crpes which are stuffed with a mixture of fresh...
Grean Pea or Mung Bean Soup Dessert
- Chinese Mung Bean (Green Bean) Soup Recipe - Superfo...
Mung Bean Soup () Recipe Serving portion : 6 Ingredients 200 g mung beans 125 g Palm sugar or gula Melaka (can be replaced with sugar) 1.5 liter Water 2 pieces Pandan or screwpine leaves...
Red Bean Soup Dessert
- Adzuki beans or Red Beans - high in nutrients, high ...
The red beans or Azuki beans (also known as adzuki or aduki beans) are major crop in Japan and China where they are harvested in November and December. In Japan, this small, approximately 5 mm,...
The text and all images on this page, unless otherwise indicated, are owned by Ingenira who hereby asserts her copyright on the material. Permission must be granted by the author in writing prior to copy or republish this article in print or online. However, please feel free to copy the first paragraph with a link back to this page. Thank you.
More by this Author
Widely known as an excellent source of antioxidants, green tea slows down aging and aids in preventing heart disease, strokes and cancers. Instead of drinking green tea, you can consume green tea in the form of cakes,...
If you often think that it is hard to make a Cheesecake, you are most probably wrong. I have not failed in making this Cheesecake so far. With this successful attempt, my confidence went up and I have tried a few other...
If your feel that your hair is dropping in handfuls and you feel that you are starting to look more like your balding uncle than curly-haired beauty or hunk, then read on and do something about it! First of all, calm...